Contact Info

* Remixer name: Another Soundscape

* E-mail: anothersoundscape@gmail.com

* UserID: 12912

[ edit ]

ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed: Final Fantasy 9

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: The Place I'll Return To Someday

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

One day I listened to Squarepusher just a tad too much and decided to make a twisted DnB style remix. A song I've always loved is The Place I'll Return to Someday from Final Fantasy 9 (a melody that appears in other tunes on the soundtrack such as Ipsen's Heritage) so I thought I'd do a remix of a very melodic and calm song and make it extremely rythmic and spastic. As always everything was done in Reason 3.0 using many different refills and the wonderful Flatpack 2 refill. Almost everything was sequenced live on my Oxygen 49 (even the loop breaks and speedy electric piano shredding). I'm especially proud of the atonal vibraphone-like solo. I started messing around with an improvised "solo" while recording and found it to be quite enjoyable and exciting. I think it makes the listener go "What!?" and that's the goal I'm trying to achieve in this remix.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! :)

Link to the Remix: (Thanks Escariot for hosting!)

Very liberal arrangement, and minimalistic at that. From what I under of D&B, the power comes from the drums and the bass. You have no power in either drums or bass here.

There are small references to the source at the beginning of the mix. The section from 1:07-1:35 was all right, but it didn't reference the source at all. Finally we get a proper reference to the source at 1:36, although it sounds more like dysfunctional clown music (not necessarily a bad thing.)

The mix just sounds unclean and messy overall. It could definitely be produced better. The arrangement could glue together more solidly, rather than sounding like random segments one after another.

You're right that the vibraphone with the piano at the end of the mix (from 2:53) was the best part. That part is very nice to listen to. However, it is important to notice that it's a note-for-note cover of the source apart from the very end.

It'll need a lot more work to pass the panel.

NO

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 101 "The Place I'll Return to Someday"

Interesting sounds for the opening. Source melody was referenced at :09 before a nice groove jumped in at :29 with the source arranged more interpretively. For d'N'b, yeah, this is weak stuff. Bass and drums aren't meaty enough at all. Actually, none of the sounds have enough depth to them at all. Changed up to a crazy original breakdown at 1:07 that sounded ultra-thin. Same issue at 2:14. The writing was cool, but the processing and production on this were super dry and leave the track merely sounding empty and unfinished.

Changes into a shrill electrosynth lead at 1:35 really liberally arranging the source material. IMO, there was adequate usage of the source theme, especially in the background. More overt melodic interpretation would help, but I didn't think there was a question of using it enough. I was disappointed that there wasn't more focus on interpreting the source melody, rather focusing on using the same initial 5 note-pattern for most of it.

I liked the orchestral rendition of the theme at 2:52 for the last section as well. I disagreed with Lee on it being too similar to the original, as the supporting parts from both sets of strings definitely expanded upon the original with new countermelodies.

In lieu of TO's concerns on the arrangement piecing together well, I think over repeated listens the arrangement structure doesn't sound aimless. On that level, familiarity helps, and I think the dynamics were good on the whole. But yeah, the production on this is way too dry and thin for what you're going for. The dynamic contrasts inherent in the composition don't resonate at all, because everything sounds flimsy and quiet. Sure, leave the appropriate sections sounding more subdued, but beef up the parts here where its necessary. Definitely work on this one further, Mattias.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...

AS, my homie. Trim yo' beard.

As Larry mentioned, the DNB elements are a little weird at first. I think they could be "tighter" rhythmically, particularly the drums, which threw me off a bit at the beginning. The mix seems to be a little muddy too at times, especially in the parts that were filtered... some low/low-mid EQ would fix that easily. The lead at 1:36 is too loud and annoying IMO, which is a similar problem that you had in an early revision of your Chocobo mix for the FF7 project. More vibrato/filtering, less legato, more movement to lower octaves. Besides

The original is pretty recognizable here, but I think there is something of a disconnect between the source, the variations, and the new material added. The chords/melody are already changed up, but the new stuff really sounds nothing like FF9 or the source at all, in terms of mood/feel. Maybe tethering that stuff back and making it a little less spastic would help. I liked the soft piano/strings ending, which was a welcome change of pace, with some more pleasing variation. Integrating that KIND of arrangement earlier would have been cool.

This is close to a pass. A less chaotic interpretation with original material that is a little closer to the source, slightly redone mixing/sound design, and maybe some additional harmonies to beef things up would put this above the bar.

NO, RESUBMIT

Lots of cool ideas going on here for starters. I really dig your style of soloing - it's kind of unpredictable and spastic, but in that "oh hey, that works" sort of way. The piece has a very natural evolution as well. Still, I feel like the source connections are too liberal at this point. Needs more direction - a liiiiiitle schizophrenic. And as others have already pointed out, the soundfield is pretty thin as we speak. I'd give this an A+ for a rough draft, but definitely needs more finetuning. Hope to see a resub!

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT