Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5162

Remixer name - Vidilian

Real name - Vidal Spaine

Email - vspaine14@hotmail.co.uk

Game remixed - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Song Remixed: Deku Palace

Composer - Koji Kondo

System - N64

I've submitted this before, quite recently actually. It was my first mix so I wasn't expecting anything, except helpful criticisms. I've improved on everything that was said I think, (changed quite alot) so I thought I'd try again at getting the first Majora's mask mix on the site. The judges said this mix could have a bright future. Hopefully I've given it that...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 145 "Deku Palace"

I still think the opening sounds pretty sluggish, and that the lead there isn't a particularly strong choice. By :17, the pads, strummed strings (entering at :12) and low, rumbling thingermabobber (entering at :17) pretty much crowded out all of the other sounds until :47. Bowed strings first used at :35 were pretty fake, plus barely audible, though you could hear them a bit better at :46.

Not sure what was up with the key change at :58, especially since it only lasted until 1:09. And again with the instrumentation being exceedingly crowded and indistinct. What was that all about?

Another key change at 1:26. Uh...OK, yeah, we're getting into more of the same issues with REALLY abrupt transitions and crowded textures. Plus, the sense of dynamics this had is pretty much ruined because there are so many crowded parts, none of them really working together cohesively. Think about what Vigilante said last time around:

The instruments don't leave any space for one another, and it sounds like a hundred voices chattering all at once rather than having a conversation. The trick is to maintain the excellent dynamic curve without overcrowding the track.

Hate to sound like an asshole, but this isn't an improvement over the first version in any way. All the same problems are there, only it amplifies them compared to the first go-around. It's just a mess. A huge mess. :-D

Well, you gotta walk before you can run, so don't be discouraged by another rejection. Keep striving to learn, but this won't be the track that gets you on the main page.

NO

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm... I'm not really hearing too many drastic changes since the last submission. I'm glad you took out the repetitive guitar riff in this version. And the key change at 0:58 is good in theory, but I think you could find a way to execute it more smoothly. It's a little jilting atm. Maybe partially because it's arrive too soon? Most songs don't modulate until later on, if at all.

I still feel like the soundfield is cluttered and rather muddy. I suggested you reduce the reverb and up the panning before, but I'm not noticing much of a difference. The percussion is still bland as well. I think Larry's "sluggish" description basically sums it up. The backing synths are kind of hypnotizing - not necessarily a good thing if you want to keep your listener awake and alert. ^_~

Keep at it - you'll get there.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't vote on this last time around, so unfortunately, I have no knowledge or recollection of the 1st submission.

I'll make this brief. There's some cool ideas in here, but unfortunately the production is really really quite below par. Like Larry said, and don't take offense, we all start somewhere, but you may want to spend some time reading up and practicing your mixing/mastering technique. Just some general things that need some TLC before this can get any closer to going on the front page:

-Drums are waaaaaaaaaay too quiet.

-Soundfield is waaaaaaaaaaay too cluttered

-No real depth to the bass--just a lot of middle on the EQ

-Too much going on, and too close to center. Needs more dynamic diversity and more stereo separation per different instruments etc.

Work on those things first and foremost. It's not a bad thing to have lots going on, but you have to make sure everything is playing off of everything else, not all trying to shout over top of one another, so to say. Keep tweaking this one, bro. This is how we get better. Keep at it.

NO