Am I the only person that feels a Pandora style organizer for OC would be a success?

CaptainN

Basically use the same idea as Pandora.com but use OC remixes so people can find remixes they like of games they may or may not have even looked at! It might even get more people to join the community. If this has already been discussed and/or denied please lock this thread or delete it if possible.

That's not really the same thing, zirc, but I do think that it would be far more trouble than it would be worth to institute some sort of OCPandora, especially given that most people look for music on this site based on a particular artist or game, and you can already browse the site looking for these things.

Agreed with Eulogic, it would probably be far more difficult than it's worth for the amount of music on the site. Cool widget though, I've been playing with it since reading this thread. :D

However, I would like to see a (moderated) folksonomic tag cloud search/navigation system on OCR at some point, a la Flickr. Would be cool if the upcoming VGMix3 adopted one too, since there'll be even more songs there eventually.

I have to throw in my agreement on this idea since Pandora is really cool and I, too, have been listening to it since I openned the thread. Pandora-style OCR would be way too hard for the current staff/listener base/programming, but OCR mixes appearing on Pandora.com would be awesome.

Anyway, anything worth doing is going to be hard. I guess it's time to get involved. I'll be sending a letter to my local moderator on this issue.

If it wasn't clear from the '07 state of the remix address, basically I'm far more interested in seeing OCR cooperate with other sites, like pandora or more likely last.fm, than trying to custom code everything and the kitchen sink. If other folk want to try coding a single site that does a million different things, I admire the perseverance and optimism involved, but I'd rather do a few things, do them well, and see what the rest of the Internet can handle via integration. Last.fm has a tagging feature and we're working on linking individual tracks up with their database, so it's possible that you'd see a last.fm tagcloud integration, among other things.

The licensing for Pandora appears to require that the music in question be commercial, which ours is not, but I'll keep looking into it since a lot of people I know like it.

The most likely version of anything like what's being proposed, in the shorter term at least, will revolve around what we can do with last.fm specifically.