*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Bolero en Fuego'

Liontamer

Samples are bleh, but good arrangement ideas; uhh...don't mind that minute of silence at the end, the track is only 3:24-long - LT

Remixer name - Theory of Nonexistence

Real name - Dustin L.

Email - OMFGitsDustin@gmail.com

userID - 19501

Game remixed - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

song remixed - Bolero of Fire

So here's my next submission, hopefully it won't get auto-rejected like the other two. I gave a kind of latin feel to the Bolero of Fire. It was originally requested by Magistrate in the Paso Doble style and I never really heard any examples of that. I only knew that it was a spanish type of music so I went on and made it as Spanishy as I could. So here it is!

Thanks,

ToN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of that minute of silence, boy! You ain't John Cage!

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 60 "Bolero of Fire"

Man, I like the ideas you've got in place. At the crux of it, the arrangement is hot. You did a lot with a very brief original. Good alteration of the rhythms, good structure, good dynamics. 2:37 repeats 1:26's section verbatim, which was disappointing, but the arrangement was already interpretive enough IMO where it didn't totally kill off its merit. You would, however, still be better served providing more variation instead.

Killing this though, the sound quality is ultra MIDI-ish and the textures are pretty thin and barren. The hand drums sound pretty good, but that's about the only sound that has any meat on it and doesn't sound completely mechanical. Certainly not the guitars or brass, and those are the sounds you're relying on the carry the lion's share of this one. Even if the sounds were fuller, you still might need more parts to further fill out the soundfield.

Wow, we haven't gotten anything this lopsided in quite a while. If you can figure out how to adequately put flesh on the bones so that the textures aren't so thin and also address the ultra-mechanical feel of the sequencing, this could stand a shot at passing. Right now though, Dustin, the end result is heavily imbalanced toward arrangement and not towards sound quality or production. :'-(

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Not much more to be said. It really is a terrific arrangement, but it desperately needs some element of human performance. There are a lot of talented guitarists in this community, for starters. I'm not sure how many of them can play in this style, but I'm willing to bet tekcoh_top's classical training would encompass Spanish music. May I suggest you try to collaborate with him? Better brass samples can be found, and castanets as well... But DrumUltimA is also a great percussionist in the community and perhaps he could lend a hand if you really don't know where to start with the production.

Love the time signature changes and creative flair here. Keep us posted if you decide to round up some others for more of a live feel. The WIP and ReMixing forums could also be helpful if you're looking for production tips. Good luck!

NO PLEASE RESUBMIT

You know, the idea here is good, and the general instrumentation is too. The problem is the execution. Almost all the parts sound really unrealstic. This kind of acoustic sound in particular, with strummed guitar chords and Spanish-style brass, is really hard to pull off in MIDI. I wish I could give you a simple answer on how to improve them, but I can't. It's hard. Start by humanizing the note lengths and velocities so the parts "flow" together a little better. More reverb will help too. There is a distinct possibility you will also just need better samples than the ones you have - ones with more articulations and built-in variation. Hit the Remixing forum for more help on technique and samples.

If you're finding MIDI to be just unbearable, start soliciting OCRemixers for performances! Even if they don't play the real instrument, they might have better samples than you, and could take your MIDI part and render/sequence it in a much more realistic way with their own samples.

The arrangement is GREAT. I mean, it really is easily OCR-quality. The switch to 3/4 was fantastic. I like all the variation, original material, and subtle arrangement of the different riffs. The dynamic flow and energy of the piece is wonderful. So please, don't be discouraged and don't give up on this. Find ways to get those instrument parts to be more realistic and you will have one awesome remix on your hands.

NO, RESUBMIT