PLAY! A Video Game Symphony

chloerin

Yeah.. I was there too. The mood was very nice at the place. Everybody had the same intrest.. really cool. We should have made a sign that said: OCremix or something, to discuss and make some contacts :P But we might be able to organize it next year.

The Dancing Mad was cool.. but as you say, the soundtechnican did badly. The choir was also gone in the start of the concert.

But the Darkness soundtrack n Oblivion was wonderful. Also the zelda tunes..

Well it was a nice experience.

I was going to go to the one in Stockholm this Saturday but I ended up selling my ticket because I'd promised to go with the choir I sing with to be Antony and the Johnson's warm-up band before their concert. So I ended up not going. But there'll be another concert this time next year, so I guess I'll go see that instead.

Yeah.. I was there too. The mood was very nice at the place. Everybody had the same intrest.. really cool. We should have made a sign that said: OCremix or something, to discuss and make some contacts :P But we might be able to organize it next year.

The Dancing Mad was cool.. but as you say, the soundtechnican did badly. The choir was also gone in the start of the concert.

Yeah Darkness was a real surprise, Gustaf Grefberg really did well. Sounded kinda Elfman. :)

Yeah.. Next year it's OCR shirts ftw! We should really have a sweden meet-up anyway? Grab some beers and see who actually lives here!

They did Dancing Mad at Play? That's awesome! I went to it in Toronto (a 10-12 hour drive from where I live in Winnipeg) and it was amazing - there weren't a lot of sound tech problems at all, maybe just where I was sitting.

I wish I could've gone to the Sydney one because I was there last month. The Eminence Orchestra concert was two days before I arrived and Play! would be a month after I left... dang.

I don't know if the program differs from region to region, but here was the one I went for last night (managed to get the last two tickets, phew):

PLAY! A Video Game Symphony - Fanfare

Super Mario Bros. - Suite

Shenmue & Shenmue II - Sedge Tree

Lost Odyssey - Main Theme

Sonic the Hedgehog - Suite

Metal Gear Solid - Main Theme

Blue Dragon - Main Theme

Kingdom Hearts - Suite

Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad

Intermission

Daytona USA - Main Theme on piano by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Suite

Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross - Suite

World of Warcraft - Suite

Halo - Suite

Castlevania - Suite

The Legend of Zelda - Suite

Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

Shinobi - Suite

The whole thing was worth going for simply because of To Far Away Times (Chrono Trigger). A tear actually rolled down my cheek when the final notes died away. Also notable were Super Mario Bros (though far too short in my opinion), Oblivion, Kingdom Hearts, Daytona USA (more on this later), WoW and One Winged Angel.

Now about Daytona: The piece in itself was good, but what made the performance was the attitude of Mitsuyoshi-san; he sauntered in waving a Sonic plushie, placing it on the piano amid cheers, then a few words, ending with "This piece is titled Let's Go Away, so enjoy, but please... Don't Go Away." The audience roared with laughter.

We were cheering throughout the entire song, even though at times his voice broke and he couldn't hold the notes, and even more so when he stood up, took a bow, and hurled the plushie into the audience. Great stuff.

After the show I bought a shirt (the white one) for $30 (about US$16) and made a promise with my friend to go again if it ever came back.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Sydney Saturday one. It was awesome. Dancing Mad was great, I couldn't believe the amount of pressure that player must have had, playing such a long solo on the largest organ in the world in front of a full house @_@. Chrono Trigger was surprisingly underwhelming, but Zelda was so loud and great.