Would this be good enough gear?

I've read on many mastering topics, (been studying those for about a month) and I heard you need good speakers in ADDITION to having good headphones. so basicly headphones are more important. Is this true? I heard some things should not be done on headphones.

anyways, to the point.

Would this be enough gear to produce some good music?

Reason 3.0

Recycle 2.1

Cool Edit Pro (not adobe or whatever)

Acid Pro 5

Melody Assistant

Harmony Assistant

M-Audio Keystation 49e (Teh 99$ B) )

Sound Blaster Live 24-Bit (On my bros comp, gonna steal it from him somehow.)

Some decent headphones, 30$ and up.

And some decent speakers.

512 MB Ram

2.66 GH Proccessor.

Thats about it. I have everything except good headhpones, good speakers, the sound blaster and the ram and processor. :(

I completely got the least important things first. :(

It took me a year and a half to save up for reason. :(

Generally speaking, the ideal is to have a set of good, "truthful" monitors, properly positioned, in an acoustically treated room. If you've done all this right, and the monitors themselves are high quality enough, you shouldn't need to rely on headphones for anything. However, most people don't have the money to afford top-notch monitors, nor do they have the money/knowledge to set them up properly or treat the room, which can result in various problems with the sound. This is why - in my opinion - a good set of headphones is an important tool for hobbyist producers, as there are very few variables and you are guaranteed to hear a pretty high level of detail.

Of course you should also test your mix on some kind of monitors or speakers if at all possible. Even if it's just a consumer sound system with 2 small speakers and a subwoofer, it's better than nothing for "referencing" the mix.

$30 headphones are not decent. I'd consider $50+ headphones (at a bare minimum) to be the borderline of "decent", with $100-150 or higher being "good". Ideally you want a semi-open design; not closed, as in my experience it creates too much bass buildup and is not quite as truthful. You also want it to cover your ear entirely, not just part of it, like some lower quality 'phones or headsets do.

All that being said, you do have the gear to produce good music. Plenty of posted remixers have produced great music with much worse setups.