*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Forest of the Damned' *FT* *RESUB*

Didn't see this anywhere in the queue, and I didn't see it in the J-decisions forum or DP candidate list, so I guess I guess this is the right place for it? -BGC

k, i'll post it in the queue, but before I do, you need to fill out the ID3 tag info (just right-click and "view file info" in winamp) b/c i have no idea what game this is from, nor what the original source tune is.

if you could provide such, it would help the process move a lot faster :)

i don't see it anywhere in the queue. send me a link to the track, and i'll inquire to see if it's fallen through the cracks.
Hey BGC,

I sent in a submission in late April and haven't seen it come across the board or gotten an auto rejection. It's called Forest of the Damned. It would be from fratteau@yahoo.com. Do I need to resubmit it or are y'all still just swamped with the whole finals/graduation/get drunk on Memorial Day time of year? I'm just looking for a heads up.

Thanks,

Fratto

Shit, I'm sorry. I went and looked in my email for the confirmation letter and it's marked March 30th, not April. I don't know if that helps.

is the link. Googlepages is known for being the devil, so if it doesn't download right, won't go past two minutes, etc. let me know.

Alright, it should be updated. Here's the other stuff that would be in the email.

• Fratto

• Brian Fratto
  • fratteau@yahoo.com
  • Forum ID 19367
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Guardia Forest

Intro is really quiet, and the forest riff is REALLY low/muddy. It needs to be in a higher octave.Almost inaudible. At :34 there are some serious chord clashes, and again, things are just really muddy overall. Hard to distinguish between parts and the volume is low throughout, which doesn't help. At 1:25, another "off" chord. 1:31 finally builds up the volume and texture a little bit into something that sounds good, but it stays close to the original before going into a fake sounding 1:53 section that also feels overly close to the source tune.

While I appreciate the stabs at variation and personalization, a lot of the added harmonies just don't sound good. Then, many of the parts from the original are simply left untouched. The mix doesn't really go anywhere with basically no significant percussion, no big changeups, just a lot of repetition. Try to vary things up more and don't feel like you have to use every part from the original as-is. Production on the whole is muddy and most of the instruments sound pretty fake in their sequence. Volume is also too low.

Spend more time on the WIP forums and ask any tech questions you have in ReMixing. Good luck w/ future subs.

NO

the arrangement shows a respectable ammount of effort, but paired with the especially weak production, this isn't going to make it.

everything is covered in a thick layer of reverb, and the levels for some of your instruments don't make any sense to me. it sounds like you mixed this on cheap headphones or computer speakers.

it also sounds like you just assigned reverb to the master output. everything muddles together and sounds indistinct. pay better attention to how you process each element of the mix.

this isn't terrible, but your arrangement and especially your production skills need to improve before they'll be at the level we required for OCReMixes.

Keep at it. I'd like to hear some subs from you in the future.

NO

Well, when you resub something that got a form rejection letter, there's basically nowhere to go but up. Yeah, you forgot to link or attach the actual sub when you sent it last. I've since gotten nice enough to actually let people know when they make that flub. :-) I'm not so bad.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Secret of the Forest" (ct-1-11.spc)

Opens up with the familiar intro of the original, with a lot of new instrumental and ambiance ideas. The arrangement relies on personalization via the new instrument choices, because a lot of the part writing is copied verbatim or near-verbatim from the original. [looks at zircon's vote] I love it when I agree without having looked at what someone said first.

Yeah, the production choices are pretty awkward sounding. The overall volume is way too low, and all of the sounds seem distant. Yeah, the chords of the strings from :34-:45 are all wrong. Bowed strings from 1:25-1:30 definitely played the wrong chord as well.

This is at least going in the right direction in terms of personalization, but further interpretation would only help this. Modify the writing/patterns of the supporting parts that stick so closely to the original so that you have more interpretation on that level in lieu of messing around with the melody.

Definitely agreed with zircon & JonT's criticisms on all levels. Like JiggyJ alluded to, you definitely show good potential Brian, so keep learning what you can to improve your craft. Then you'll be one of the few and the proud in a year or two to listen to your old work and go "Damn, my stuff is way better now." On the arrangement side, keep going for more interpretation, first and foremost.

NO