*NO* Legend of Zelda 1, Twilight Princess, OoT, 3 & Wind Waker 'Swell Session Mix'

Liontamer

I'm suspecting too much direct sampling, but don't know the soundtracks (or arranged soundtracks) well enough; I can ask around - LT

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - SWELL SESSION REMIX.

* Your ReMixer name ---- Swell Session

* Your real name ---- Andreas Saag

* Your email address ---- andreas@swellsession.org

* Your website ---- www.swellsession.org

* Your userid (number, not name) ---- http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=20700

* Name of game(s) ReMixed ----- Legend of Zelda, LOZ Twilight princess, LOZ Ocarina of time, LOZ A link to the past, LOZ The Wind waker.

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed ---- All the intros + various bits.

* Additional information about game, if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.

* Link to the original soundtrack, if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This mix was made in collaboration with the swedish nintendo magazine called +N.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/literal/kotaku-magu-paper-mario-papercraft-263773.php

It's a tribute to the Legend of Zelda series. It was made by Swell Session, an artist from Sweden who has previously released a lot of electronic music and toured in Japan. It can also be found on http://www.myspace.com/swellplusoneremixes

The mix has created a bit of a buzz already and we thought that it would be a good idea to post it here too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some funny comments over at Kotaku regarding this mix. Lots hated the approach. I thought this was a cool track myself, but standards-wise we have a problem.

Intro seems fine. It's certainly different than anything we normally get, but it's produced well. The choir vox sounds pretty cheap, but that could be a result of it being chopped up rather than sequenced, I couldn't be sure. At least it's couched well in the soundscape and works in tandem with the chiptune-ish sounds in arranging the familiar melody.

Some seemingly pitch-shifted direct sampling of the Wind Waker "Staff Credits" theme mixed in starting at 1:23, finally heard at length at 1:51. Rather sloppy work fitting it to the tempo of the beatwork, I thought it was awkward the whole way.

Some really badass Zelda 3 arrangement showed up at 2:15 with a different choir, but it sounds like it was direct sampled from something else. If this was made for the arrangement, then it's badass, but the odds seem low for a mix of this nature. The fact that the choir's badass here but lame in the beginning doesn't sounds like something not chosen, but inherited. BUT...they're badass enough where it could be the vocals of frequent collaborator Elsa Esmeralda though (e.g. the intro vocals of Andreas's "A Heart to Cover For" remix), or the same choir patch or vocalist(s) from the end of Andreas's "Masa's Theme" remix. Bottom line, I'll need to know more information.

I'd prefer a smoking gun, but based on the material I've heard from Andreas's site, this may not groove with the site standards. OC ReMixes are contingent upon building the major majority of the arrangement on your own, not by direct sampling. I'll have to reserve judgement until I know more sampling details from the artist or another panelist.

• 1 month later...

Jill's notes:

<pixietricks> - Don't recognize the Fairy theme chorus from anything

<pixietricks> - Link "hyah" sounds, sword swoops, Epona neighs, and opening MIDI choir song direct sampled from OoT

<pixietricks> - Don't recognize the Irish flute thing from anything, but it does sound sampled considering it's not in the same time signature

<pixietricks> Sounds like a remix in the traditional sense of the word

My first thought was that it sounds kind of junky, but there's definitely some respectable production value involved. I can definitely see what Jill's saying when she says it's a "traditional" remix, in that for the most part, it takes a very small chunk of the original and builds a..fairly generic beat and groove around it, without much in terms of arrangement. However, I would say that the final minute is quite redeeming, providing an overall sense of dynamics and progression. The vocals do quite a bit for the track. The first section of the track is relatively stagnant, but not in a particularly repetitive way. There's plenty of subtle wankery going on; delay tricks and so on, and while there's not much in terms of harmonic progression, the remixer has clearly done more than copy+paste. Again, I think the final minute wraps it up in a very solid way.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the final minute of actual straightforward choral arrangement helps a piece that that essentially samples originals.

The opening part is the rising sun theme from Ocarina of Time. I'm not sure about actual sampling in this case, but it doesn't really matter, as it's note-for-note verbatim.

The next minute or so obviously samples SFX and music from the NES game; the opening choir underneath all that is right out of the Twilight Princess title theme. I know because when I played the game for the first time I distinctly recall the choirs sucking ass and wishing Kondo had gotten his wish to use real a orchestra and choir for the game's music.

The bit with the the irish whistle is right out of the credits theme from Wind Waker.

The sample is easily recognizable, as it has that fakey air-flubbed attack.

The ending choir is probably all new, but I don't think it really matters. This song samples way too much to jive with OCR's standards of arrangement. It's a remix, not a ReMix.

NO

I don't think the final minute of actual straightforward choral arrangement helps a piece that that essentially samples originals.

The opening part is the rising sun theme from Ocarina of Time. I'm not sure about actual sampling in this case, but it doesn't really matter, as it's note-for-note verbatim.

The next minute or so obviously samples SFX and music from the NES game; the opening choir underneath all that is right out of the Twilight Princess title theme. I know because when I played the game for the first time I distinctly recall the choirs sucking ass and wishing Kondo had gotten his wish to use real a orchestra and choir for the game's music.

The bit with the the irish whistle is right out of the credits theme from Wind Waker.

The sample is easily recognizable, as it has that fakey air-flubbed attack.

The ending choir is probably all new, but I don't think it really matters. This song samples way too much to jive with OCR's standards of arrangement. It's a remix, not a ReMix.

As soon as I read his vote, it all came rushing back that Shariq is our Zelda expert. Reading his vote makes me kick myself for not simply soliciting his feedback when this issue came up.

Yeah, my impression was that the ending choir was the only thing that may have been wholly original to this song. But indeed, we aren't a site for "remixes" with direct sampling of the material. "ReMix" as in rearrangment, not remixing as in sampling the original game audio.

NO

As an aside, your remixing work is otherwise very excellent, Andreas. Congratulations on contributing this to N+. You definitely sound like you're already on your way to being a success. I'm a big fan of your remix of Domu's "A Heart to Cover For" featuring Elsa Esmerelda on intro vocals. That's an amazing piece of work.

Heard this a while back, but wasn't able to get in my official vote until now. Woops! Anyway, because I'm too lazy to type it all out again:

Jill's notes:

<pixietricks> - Don't recognize the Fairy theme chorus from anything

<pixietricks> - Link "hyah" sounds, sword swoops, Epona neighs, and opening MIDI choir song direct sampled from OoT

<pixietricks> - Don't recognize the Irish flute thing from anything, but it does sound sampled considering it's not in the same time signature

<pixietricks> Sounds like a remix in the traditional sense of the word

That basically sums it up for me. I really enjoy this piece - will undoubtedly save it to my playlist and listen again. As Vig said, it's not copy/paste in the traditional sense of the word. A lot of thought and talent clearly went into this. But unfortunately that doesn't change our standards in terms of direct sampling; there's definitely too much of it.

NO