Purchasing a Synthesiser - Recommendations & Input appreciated

I'm new to all this,

and the forums too >,>.

But lately I've spent a lot fo time messing with synthesisers at music stores and am definately wanting to buy one.

I'm really new to this and am not entirely sure of how much I'm willing to spend on a synthesiser alone, probably around 1200 AUS or so.

I've looked around and I'm having trouble working out what I'll need to buy.

Basically what I want is a synthesiser [ I'll probably want to be able to plug it into my bose surround system, which shouldn't be a problem ] that I can either play standalone or through a computer.

With playing it through a computer, what other things am I going to ened to buy? Software? Hardware?

Also, I rememebr a friend saying something about guitar input on a synthesiser, could anyone elaborate on this?

Basically just any information would help, recomendations, brand names, I just need to know what to buy. And a brief run down of how to use one / how it works would be excellent, even if I just get linked somewhere.

Thanks in advance

You will need:

A soundcard

================================

When considering a soundcard, think about what else you'd like to do with it: Would you like to record? Would you like to plug in a guitar? Would you like to have one that has built in sound effects that will process those effects instead of your computer processor?

You will need a Sequencer or a Tracker

============================================

If you read music, a sequencer is recommended (by me). There are many to choose from and they have various capabilities. For example, if you get SONAR 6: Producer, you can mix in surround sound. If you get FL Studio, you can... do stuff. They're all going to have their own capabilities. To start with, however, I would recommend something a bit low-end to just try out for yourself. A home studio version of a product would be appropriate.

Either way, if you're getting an external synthesizer (or rompler) then your best bet will be getting software that has MIDI capability. The MIDI will assist your computer in communicating with the synth.

Which synths are you looking at so far?

I'm sure Yoozer will jump at the chance to throw some input to this topic, in the mean time you could specify a little more on what you plan on doing with said synth. Do you want a synth with a lot of pad sounds? Is it more for Trance music? Do you want that 70's lead synth sound? Will you be using this live? Do you want a synth that comes with a keyboard? etc.

As far as buying a soundcard goes, I'm running a fairly cheap soundblaster Audigy! card right now, but I'm looking around for something with guitar input.

I'd like an external synth to play live as well as for use with the computer, although the live aspect is probably more what I'm looking at.

So far I've look at some Korg and Roland models that look very interesting, But I really just want assurance from someone who knows what they're talking about as to what models are best for their price.

As for your post, Skrypnyk, it will be used live and it would probably get used to trance/electronica sort of music, yes I want it with the keyboard and as for a pad; if there are any fairly priced models with pads, that would be excellent, otherwise I'll most likely buy one standalone.

Sorry if I'm not making a lot of sense guys, but thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Zircon, would a MicroX be a good deal as well? I'm considering it my next instrument purchase. From the demos I've seen it seems to have almost all the lush sounds from the X-50. I guess the weakest point would have to be the smallish keyboard, but saving space is important for me.

I'm sure Yoozer will jump at the chance to throw some input to this topic

Yoozer was on a 2-week holiday ;).

The Micro X and X-50 both have the Triton LE sound engine, but they've got a different soundset, with the Micro X being more dancey. I don't know if they've got different source samples too - Korg has had expansion boards for the Triton, so they might've used some of the Dance board for the Micro X (which is what the description on the Korg site suggests).

Compare the Yamaha CS6x and S30 - same soundset, only the CS6x is more aimed towards electronic (dance) music. The Micro X has more programs (640 as opposed to 512) but those are just preset locations. Both have 64 mb of sample memory.

Good deal? Well, it's an LE in a cheaper package minus the sequencer and a different display (Color-wise. Same resolution, it seems).

The actual "synth-only" synths are the Radias and the R3, which don't have samples (well, they do, but not in the way the X-50/Micro X have).

Well I can speak for the Micron. It's basically the same as the Ion but in a smaller package and a simple drum sequencer. I regret selling mine, even though it was to get out of a debt. You can get real warm sounding pads, and some searing leads as well. Just be aware that it has few knobs so if it's your first synth, programming sounds can get somewhat of a chore. The main clear knob on mine slipped off a few times because it's used so much for making patches. But for the money and it's size it's a great value, and nice for live playing (I wouldn't expect anyone to do any programming live).