Metroid Prime - Chozen One

Lemonectric

Chozen One is a Metroid Prime minimegamix. I've remixed 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 songs from Metroid Prime, depending on how you count (Do previous Metroid songs count? Do you count the two Phendrana Drifts songs separately? Tricky stuff like that). But it's just short of four minutes, and I haven't remixed everything, so you really can't call it a megamix. Yeah, the menu/credits music isn't in there. I'm a terrible person. But that's actually a separate project.

avxz

Contents (in order of appearance):

Getting Item

Samus Appearance

Tallon Overworld 1 (Metroid Brinstar)

Magmoor Caverns (Super Metroid Lower Norfair)

Phendrana Drifts 1+2

Crashed Frigate

Tallon Overworld 2

Samus Appearance again!

I basically picked out several songs that I think convey the general mood of Metroid Prime. The location themes are sort of in order, but I switched Crashed Frigate and Tallon Overworld 2 because I felt TO2 better represented the feel of Prime, and thus made a better ending. And then Phendrana Drifts 1 and 2 should obviously be together since they share a part. I guess.

But yeah. Comments are cool, I guess. I guess too much.

Damn, skippy. I enjoyed this remix thoroughly. I especially liked how it sounded by the ending. I can't really find any complaints except that maybe you tried to fit in a bit too much into the remix - some parts near the middle/near end (I guess around the 3/4 area) sound just way too short before they transition onto the next part. Nonetheless, awesome job.

Oh, and I think I 'gasmed beginning at 2:24. Mmmm.

Nice, a Prime mix. Too few of those on here.

You might want to consider changing the intro a little, it feels kind'a weak. You could be more selective as to how prominent the choir should be. It sort'a takes over during the first minute - save the loudest choir part of the choir climax, wherever you feel that is.

What's going on at 2:30? It feels out of place. It might be because I haven't played Prime in quite some time, but even so, it feels out of place. I don't mind the rest of the crammed together themes, but it does feel like a megamix (or minimegamix) - which I'm not much of a fan of.

At 2:20 I started feeling like the drums needed something more, so add some fills wherever appropriate before then. At 0:48 and 3:14, possibly at other places as well, I got a little annoyed with the repetative crashes/splashes. I doubt it's the only cymbal sample you have, so mix it up a little more.

Also, for the final mix, I would turn down the drums a bit, as they get pretty repetative. Also, as they sound pretty mundane they don't really have the energy to drive the song.

I'm not sure this accurately fits my experience with Prime. There's a few too many things going on, musically, to fit the mood. But experiences vary, so that's no big deal.

That's what I think.

Thanks for the replies! I don't know if I'll ever get around to fixing things, but I'll try. I always intend to go back and change WIPs, but I tend to get distracted by new projects.

What's going on at 2:30? It feels out of place. It might be because I haven't played Prime in quite some time, but even so, it feels out of place.

That would be the underwater portion of the crashed frigate. Probably the most changed song I have in there. Also the only one I've never heard a remix of. I'll see what I can do about the out-of-placeness.

I'm not sure this accurately fits my experience with Prime. There's a few too many things going on, musically, to fit the mood. But experiences vary, so that's no big deal.

I totally thought I said this, but looking back at my post, I guess I didn't...weird. My intention was basically to make the mix sound Metroid Primey, but in a more dancey kind of way. Sort of. :x

The choir take charge at the beginning, but i think it's mainly because there isn't much going on in the high end melody-wise; the frequencies are kind of buried and arent sharp enough; i'd eq a little high end into the lead synth.

A lot of the synths used seemed a little lo fi as well; I know you use a lot of free samples, but there are a lot of little tricks you can use to improve sample sounds; subtle doubling of parts, minor delays, more panning.

The drums are a little mundane as well, as previously state. The bass drum works alright i think, but the snare needs more velocity shifts, it (and the cymbals and hi hat) is what is really the main issue with the drums; change up those velocities to make it sound more natural.

This does have a distinct metroid feel to it, so nice work, it just needs some adjustments. I hope you find the time to give this some polish. :-)

That. Was. Epic.

Seriously, the arrangment and flow of the song went really well, and I like how you ended it with Samus' Appearance song again. Very nice.

Overall, I'm not a music techie, so basically the only thing I can actually argue against are the quality of the samples. May have been what you were going for, but I like my instruments/samples sounding natural...if that makes sense. >_< Gosh I wish I new what I was talking about sometimes.

Thanks for the more replies. I just wanted to say that I have plans to collaborate with Mewtation to put some guitarry stuff in here. He is currently saving for a guitarry recording thing, so until then, it's safe to say this won't be updated. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind for the next version! With any luck, we'll be able to get this on the site.

Also: This is already by far the most downloaded remix I've put on tindeck. o.o

• 3 months later...

Well, like I said, Mewtation and I are going to add some guitar, and I'm going to try to expand on things, possibly adding the title theme or menu theme. Mewtation has to buy something that will allow for cleaner recording, but he needs some help when it comes to saving money. I should try handcuffing him every time he reaches for his wallet.

Blame effectively shifted.