*NO* Extreme-G 'Extreme Velocity'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Gorillamatic

Email: always_into_action@yahoo.com

Userid: Not sure

Name of game remixed: Extreme-G

Name of original song remixed: 06-acclaim-original-sound-track-2

Link to original:

I enjoyed playing extreme-g a lot a long time ago. I always liked the soundtrack on there. I figured hey, why not remix it. So here it is. Hope it makes the cut. Its titled Extreme Velocity. Enjoy

---------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the hosted source from the actual soundtrack promo, as it gets the meat of it quicker and is better sound quality than the USF.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/xgusf.zip - Race 2

Extreme G Official Remixes - (06) Original Track

Thanks for not naming the tracks, Acclaim! The source tune sounded a bit flimsy, but I can see how interesting it was. Good arrangement choice.

The intro for this one definitely grabs you in. Once things kicked into the meat of the track, the beatwork felt relatively sparse and simplistic, leaving the overall texture not getting the job done, IMO. 1:33-2:13's section was another culprit on that level.

Nothing wrong with keeping the source melody more in the background as an anchor for the rest of the piece; that was definitely an interesting approach and the melody was couched well within the rest of the music, something difficult for a lot of people to pull off correctly.

Though some stuff like the claps patterns felt bland and could have been stronger, I'm not sure if this really needs much more in the way of processing; everything sounded fairly good on that level. There's just a fair amount of empty space that needs filling out, IMO. Some additional depth/complexity in the textures, through additional part writing, padding or percussion variation on the core patterns would put this one over the top.

Man, you're my radar now, I'll tell you that. Definitely keep working on this one, Maurice. I wanna see this one go through the wringer, get spit polished and wind up on the front page. Good work so far.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The production in this mix, I think, is somewhat weak. Seems like there's a lot of high end, which makes it sound thin, and I feel like the bass range is way more important for electronic music in general. The beats at :13 were pretty basic and low energy, and the lead that comes in at :27 (choir???) isn't too pleasing to the ear IMO. There are continual layers of high end, sparkling synths but a lack of expansive reverb to fill out the rest of the frequencies on them, and again, no strong bass instruments either.

I felt like 1:07 should have been where the mix picked up, but it didn't, just relying on the same simple beat. I would recommend selecting a totally new drumkit as I don't think this one works well at all. It's flimsy and low-powered. Once you switch to the four on the floor beat at 1:34 the kick is painfully small and weak. You can get a ton of nice dance samples at www.vipzone-samples.com, but if you need more help on this aspect, hit the Remxing forum on this site. The synths throughout aren't too bad, but most of them lack any "body", as I said before. You could do with adding a few more layers.

The production really holds back the energy of this mix, and I think you get the idea, so let me just briefly touch on arrangement. Structurally this was pretty good, though the amount of time it took to get to the four on the floor section was excessive, though this might be a byproduct of the plodding beats prior. The actual interpretation of the source material seems good to me; admittedly I'm not a huge fan of that particular source track.

Really refine your production here, and maybe tighten up the arrangement overall. Promising!

NO

This feels...anemic. Those kick hits need to be really deep, and the bassline really needs to be prevalent here to establish a solid groove. Andy's right with the comment about it sounding thin. There's a sparseness here; you need to fill out your midrange way more. The sustained pads you have are far too quiet compared to everything else.

You did what you could with the source; there's not much there to mix. The dynamics are pretty flatline; might want to think more about development and buildups. There's a lot of repetition. :\

NO