Best EQ Setting?

salamence502

I most often listen using a good set of cans and HRTF using ffdshow audio (Mixer->Output speakers configuration->HRTF) - although apparently Vista has hrtf built-in, I am still using XP. However, if I feel like making the floor vibrate I'll switch over to my amp and use a flat eq. My favorite movie for this so far is FF7 Advent Children. It has a wonderful LFE track <3

Without question you should turn up every frequency all the way all the time, regardless of what you're listening to. You know, to make sure you can hear everything.

Except 500 Hz. Nothing good ever happens at 500 Hz. Turn that shit down.

And I'm a sound engineering major at Berklee, so I know what I'm talking about.

This is funny indeed...I agree on the 500~ Hz, but it's rarely a wise choice to max all the rest unless your pre-amp before the EQ is lowered.

Has for winamp, I recommend to always set the pre-amp has low then the highest individual EQ setting.

Example, if your 12 K is at +6 db and it's the most boosted frequency, set the pre-amp at -6 db to avoid distortion.

I find a global EQ of +12db@330hz and -12@1.2ghz is perfect, and then I run it through a distortion and reverb unit, 100% wet.

I listen to all my music like that.

Help me out here, what does "wet" actually mean?

Also, I would not recommend EQing with software on your computer. It's better to do it with your receiver. If you must EQ with computer software, your frequency with the highest decibel setting should be 0, and the others should be lowered with respect to the frequencies at zero. This is because if you crank up a frequency with software, you run the risk of causing the audio feed to clip.

With that said, I listen to a lot of dark, heavy music. I tone down the mids so that highs and lows are accented. It gives the music a clearer, sharper, richer sound. Higher mids will make music feel noisy, but will make lyrics more understandable. So if you listen to shit like punk rock, consider enhancing the mids. If you listen to shit like metal, consider my EQ setting.

Edit: don't use any of the preset EQ settings. Go ahead and use them as a base for your own custom settings. I often find that the presets aren't dynamic enough for me.

"100% wet" means that the plugin unit affects the entire signal going through. "50% wet" would mean that half of the signal goes through unaffected, with the other half being affected by the distortion and reverb unit (in this case).

He's joking btw. :)

Ah, I learned something today. Cheers.