Zelda: Windmill Jazz (WIP)

BlazingDragon

Hi,

I'm a newb remixer (first post), and I would like some input on my first remix. It is an arrangement of "Windmill Hut" from Zelda: OOT, and it is meant to be somewhat jazzy. I don't plan on submitting it, as all I have at my disposal is soundfonts and an FL Studio demo. :P I'm just aiming to improve my skills.

Here is the link:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/83843

Please be honest and tell me how I can improve it. Did I stray too far from the source material? Is this even jazz? Any comments are greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance,

BlazingDragon

Wow, this is great! It sounds like recorded instruments rather than samples. You've got a nice intensity-curve to it, too. Overall, it sounds great.

I am missing the original 3/4 version, tho. This is just one of those themes that work best in that signature. You don't need it, I just prefer it like that. Anyway, your remix is also a bit repetitive and the mood is the same throughout, although the mood isn't the problem, the repetitiveness is. You might raise it a note or so nearing the end of it, that could be enough.

It sounds very professional. It's a little short, but so's the source. Overall, this could be approved by the judges. At least, judging from what comes out of my laptop speakers.

It's not bad considering you're still a beginner, and arrangementwise there's definitely a spark, productionwise it still has a long way to go.

The comping by the piano is IMO decidedly un-jazzy( you could say the chords are too 'simple'=P), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Bass is way too soft and too bassy (might seem like a contradiction, but on a double bass you usually want to hear the attack clearly so you actually know it's a double bass, and not a bass guitar).

Sax..hmm what can I say..it's okay for a sequenced soundfont sax, but it doesn't sound anywhere near convincing. If you get this thing up and running I suggest you look up a live sax player on the site to play the part for you, it will make an amazing difference.

Piano is okay, it doesn't stand out, but it doesn't hurt my ears with its fakiness either.

I reaaaaaallly suggest you add some nice downbeat jazz percussion to this, it will definitely help keep the song a steady pace. Again, this definitely good for a first-time mix, and has some potential too.

I really enjoyed it! I thought it was really well done. You ask if it's even Jazz, but quite honestly, does it really matter? I've always been a firm believer that if it sounds good, then keep it how it is. What separates great musicians from good musicians is the ability to fuse styles & come up with completely new ones. The only critique is that it doesn't sound like there is really an end, it just repeats from the start. But besides that, it's a job well done!

Wow, thanks you all so much for the constructive comments! I'll get to work right away with revisions. This was originally just a loop, but I'll try to come up with an ending, and maybe a contrasting section for more variety.

@Tensei-San: The soundfont I used for the bass was a Jazz Guitar, which is why it sounded soft. I'll see if I can find a good acoustic double-bass sample. I'm really pathetic with percussion, but I'll see what I can do.