Modern Classical Music

One-Hit Combo

Hi everyone,

Lately, I have been going on a stint of listening to classical music, and even more so the modern stuff. Does anyone have any favourite musical groups in this category? I would really like to find some different artists to try out.

I have a few whom I love and would suggest if you are into classical music, or just epic music in particular.

-Trans-siberian Orchestra (Perhaps the most well known one)

-E. S. Posthumous (Only one cd, but it is so epic in all ways)

-California Guitar Trio (Just try listening to their Toccata and Fugue song)

-E Nomine (more technoish really, but with gregorian chanting and latin praying)

-Gregorian (Mostly they remix popular songs into gregorian chanting such as Engel and Nothing Else Matters)

Anyway, does anybody else love these same bands? Know any artists who have remade classical music? Let me know!

Please, I was only trying to find an all encompassing definition to slip these artists into, the exact definition is irrelevant.

California Guitar Trio are three dudes with classical guitars. E Nomine is a german techno band infused with gregorian and biblical lyrics. E. S. Posthumous melds electric guitar with an orchestra and worldly instruments. None of these exactly fit into any one definition perfectly really, but I am sorry if I missed the mark so thoroughly. Next time I will fully research exactly what the true definitions are, if only to avoid being brow-beaten on a forum for music enthusiasts.

Anyway, I am also a fan of symphonic metal, for example I like Nightwish's version of Phantom at the Opera quite a bit, even if Nightwish is considered corny by some. Vanessa Mae and Eric Clapton both have great versions of Classical Gas too. I am just throwing out these different songs/artists to get a feel for the music that could be suggested or whatever.

Anyone else have similar interests? Don't worry about fitting the definition exactly.

I know, I just had to throw that out there. :D

You probably want music that sounds more like Globus (who I think are affiliated with the Immediate Music that supremespleen mentioned) and Karl Jenkins's Adiemus compilations. Plus, there's a ton of film music that fits the bill by composers like Craig Armstrong.

I would just refer to these as classical/electronica/world hybrid styles, but I can understand why they'd easily be referred to as "modern." The problem is the word "modern" is typically reserved for the atonal orchestral craziness that no one really listens to anyway.

My ear training teacher plays in this contemporary chamber group called Alarm Will Sound, and they do a lot of really cool stuff--for example one of their albums is the music of Aphex Twin done acoustically. Check it out: http://www.myspace.com/alarmwillsound, or simply http://www.alarmwillsound.com

Here's my ear training teacher :o

http://alarmwillsound.com/about/members/orlando.html

Oh wow, you know someone in Alarm Will Sound? That's awesome. The Aphex album is kind of disappointing in its inconsistency, but there are some excellent moments.

One of my favorite contemporary orchestral composers is definitely Jóhann Jóhannsson, although he does have a tendency to get kind of schmaltzy. Jonny Greenwood is really shaping up to be an interesting composer as well. I love me some Ondes Martenot!