Liontamer

ReMixer name: Doctor Octoroc

eMail: jazzlevi@yahoo.com

Name of game: Final Fantasy

Name of song: Matoya's Realm

here is the link to the file: Matoya.mp3

it is entitled "Matoya"

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 10 ("Matoya's Theme")

Opened up with some ultra-generic out-of-the-box sounds loosely based off the progression of the source, before bringing in the melody at :38.

The "Matoya's Theme" melody wasn't particularly interpretive, though the backing elements did work with arranging the theme as well.

The dropoff at 1:35 provided some decent dynamic contrast. Strings at 1:49 were a nice change of pace, albeit sounding lonely and dry in the soundfield. Solid re-building at 2:01. By around this time the quarter note drumshot was getting pretty tired for me and could have used some fills or variation. It's a decent but monotonous anchor.

Reached a new high point at 2:39. Still some good stuff going on in the background. Another iteration of the theme at 3:11, getting repetitive. It's too bad there's nothing interesting going on with the treatment of the actual melody. Change it up a bit.

The sounds were ultra thin and you definitely need to step it up, as FL can do a lot more out-of-the-box. Overall though, you're definitely moving in the right direction in terms of arranging, Levi. Especially working with an NES source, you had some good new supporting writing ideas, and a solid-enough sense of creating dynamics.

The main negative here was that for about 10 iterations of the melody, it was the essentially the same thing over and over again particularly with verses. Don't just vary up the sounds playing the lead, vary up the rhythms, fuse it with some original melodic ideas, add grace notes; do something to keep the melodic content fresh, it's the backbone of the arrangement.

Use our ReMixing and Works forums to learn more about your software and solicit fan feedback in order to help you improve for future submissions. If you stay diligent, you'll be creating more solid-sounding material on both the arrangement and production sides.

NO

I could see this getting onto the site maybe 3 or 4 years ago, but as it stands now, I think the synth work is too generic and the song is just too repetitive. You have a lot of nice ideas as far as arrangement goes in terms of building up sections, but I think some better sounds would really bring this piece up.

Larry also made a good point about changing up the melody. I was only halfway through the song and it was already getting old. You need to vary up your interpretation of the main melody a lot more.

NO

simply put, it is far too repetitive to keep the audience's attention for very long.

the vibe of the track is alright, albeit 1995 but if you changed it up a bit more often, the track would work.

as it stands, it doesn't keep my attention past the 4th or 5th time through that same melody.

the synths, themselves, are terribly old school and would have been fine if you were releasing this in like 1995

NO