* Metroid

* Title Theme

* System: NES

* I tried to make it sound 'alien'. Enjoy

--

- ophidic

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 1

Some decent supporting instrumentation ideas to add a little bit to this, not to mention the alien-style sounds. The tempo change at :50 was a good idea as well.

Some decent new writing from 1:51-2:06 to change the style of the ending, and get things feeling more interpretive. Overall though, structured too much like the source tune and not a developed, interpretive enough concept.

The volume was also way too quiet, with the mixing leaving everything sounding too murky and lossy. Louder and cleaner is the way to go. Even if going for a more washed, spacey sound, this wasn't pulled off well, IMO.

Decent first mix. Stick around the ReMixing and Works forums to learn more and get more feedback before future submissions.

NO

I can see you're kind of going for that spacey electronic Metroid Prime sound, but ultimately I think you just didn't interpret the source tune enough. Take out the SFX and you're essentially left with very little in terms of actual arranged music. You can't let the SFX do the heavy lifting for you here; making them the whole focus while allowing the music itself to become peripheral is gimmicky.

You need to beef up the non-SFX stuff in here. Try to make stronger melodic and/or harmonic statements, chord movements, do something. Bring up the volume too; it's quiet.

NO

I actually thought this was pretty cool. Very "alien" indeed, and I really liked the scraping, effect on the pads. It was like running the audio over a cheese-grater. Very interesting.

Detuned, ambient textures set a nice soft atmosphere. This is definitely way too quiet though, that's for sure. I would really be inclined to YES this one were it not nearly a straight cover of the source. Even so, I feel like the personalization you've added via the soundscape is almost enough to make me overlook that.

This is definitely very fitting of the whole somber, mysterious, and somewhat sad vibe that seems to follow Samus's persona. I really think you've got a great start here. Add some more volume, maybe extend it a little, fill it out with a little more original composition and some slight restructuring, and I think this would be a very cool addition to not only the site, but also the music of the Metroid franchise.

RESUBMIT

Also, I didn't quite get the reference to SR388, especially since that planet (if I'm not mistaken) wasn't introduced until Metroid II on the Gameboy. But whatever.