*NO* Mega Man 3 'The Passing of the Blue Crown'

Liontamer

Sixto Sounds & Steppo

Juan P. Medrano & Stefan Karlsson

forgotten_imp@yahoo.com, rally_mannen@hotmail.com

http://tadakichi.baka.us/Sixto_Sounds/

UserID: 13403, 31050

MegaMan 3, Track 1

Steppo had sent me this MP3 of a remix he was working on and asked if I was interested in a collaboration. I listened to the track and was immediately turned on by the arrangement. I pretty much just took what he had and made it louder (much louder) with my own samples and guitar tracking and added a bridge section with a simple guitar solo.

Breakdown of source usage:

:35 to :41 is the only part of the source being used.

:00 to :40 in the remix: Original material w/ chord progression from the source.

:41 to :58 arranges the source riff (lead guitar melody)

:58 to 1:15 is original.

1:15 to 1:31 arranges the source (piano)

1:31 to 1:48 is original

1:48 to 2:13 arranges the source (lead guitar)

2:13 to 2:46 is original

2:46 to 3:36 arranges the source.

So, about 108 seconds of 232 seconds total. Assuming I didn't miss anything, and not counting the general usage of the chord progression, this is under 50% - about 46.5% to be more precise.. unfortunately, the standard that most of us go by is that you need at least 50% source usage to qualify in the arrangement category. So this does not quite cut it. I expressed my concerns about that a few times in #ocrwip :(

Production is great, as is performance, structure, general musicality... very much like Linkin Park except without the vocals (perhaps for the better??) I don't have any complaints there. If you two are willing to go back to this, I recommend using more of the source. You only used a 15 second chunk and there is a lot of other material to use, plus when you DID arrange that chunk, you did it the same way pretty much every time. You can definitely turn this into a yes with a little more source usage.

NO, resub

At 200kbps, this bitrate is too large. Please keep it at or below 192kbps.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 1 ("Title")

Disagreeing with zircon, I didn't see how this production quality was great at all, as zirc compared this track with Beatdrop and RoeTaKa. It's not terrible, and I don't inherently dislike this approach, but the production choices were a bit over the top to the detriment of the track, IMO.

There was audible recording hiss in the opening that just sounded sloppy due to the sheer volume. Once things kicked in at :25, the soundfield sounded overcompressed to the point where everything was too cramped. I thought the layered melody didn't have enough distinguishable separation. Also, the cymbals were so overrun by other sounds, they sounded like they were distorted and swallowed up.

The :41-:58 section also suffered the same fate, with the layered melody cutting through, but the rhythms guitars and pad creating a very murky background and being poorly separated. Pretty much every verse, produced the same way throughout, ended up with the overcompressed and cramped feel in the background (and foreground, thanks to the layered source melody). Sections like 2:12-2:45, where the backing guitar was much quieter, worked a lot better production-wise and left some room to breathe.

Better stuff for the awesome piano section from 1:14-1:31, creating some nice dynamic contrast.

zircon's breakdown of the source usage was spot on. Yeah, this could use more areas of the source somewhere somehow, sure. But more importantly, this needs more substantial variation of the arranged melodic section constantly used (and beat into the ground) here. The MM3 source just got too repetitive played the same way on electric guitar over and over again. What's here is clearly in the right direction. Polish it up and nudge it over the line, bros.

NO (resubmit)