Any of you familiar with or own this keyboard?

Cree`

M-Audio Keystation 88 Es or Pro? or something else entirely?

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-88ES-Midi-Controller/dp/B0006676A0

I will be ordering from zZsounds...

This will be my first midi keyboard. I would be using this controller to learn the piano using Teach Me Piano for a few months, and then I will move onto traditional lessons. I will also be using this controller for composing and creating music using FL Studio 7 and any other sequencer I need as I progress. So, with you knowing this knowledge, do you think this would be the right type of controller for me?

Well i purchased the M-audio Prokeys 88. Ive tried some of their semi-weighted key pianos and im not to impressed. They're OK if your just learning to play piano. Also i purchased mine because it had build in sounds so i wasnt stuck to the computer. But overall, as a midi keyboard, it works nicely. If your looking for a concert piano type controller, probably not your best choice. M-audio is solid though.

I had an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro. It is definitely nice for the price - 88 key weighted controllers are hard to find for $400 - but the feel is not quite realistic. The keys are a little too heavy IMO, which inhibits fast playing, especially on the same note. This will probably not be an issue if you are just learning piano to begin with. Eventually I would recommend getting a digital piano in the $1000 range, which would have a far more realistic feel, for practice purposes. However, until then, this is a solid choice. Just remember, it doesn't have speakers or onboard sound, so you MUST have it linked to a program on your computer to generate any sound!

He's not looking at the keystation pro though, he's looking at the ES. It's got semi-weighted keys, which as a general rule aren't exactly great for piano playing.

If you can afford it, the 88 Pro is very much worth the upgrade. Hammer action is much closer to the real thing. http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-Hammer-Action-Bus-Powered-Controller/dp/B000YYUTEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1197520638&sr=1-1

Don't take our word for it though, go try 'em out at a store if you can :)

i have the full weighted one. It's fine for what I do (practice piano).

edit: download tascam free giga piano. It works good. I also have a sustain pedal and expression pedal that are marketed with m-audio keyboards and they are cool too.

omg do Ihave a storyto tell. I live in a small town without music stores and for christmas break I went to guitar world in Sacramento today and played the korg oasys for like 3 hours.(and through goodmonitors - you were right snapple, I have never heard through monitors before and It blew me away. Never have heard that clarity before. I am seriously considering getting monitors now or at least saving for them. My budget for monitors is now under $600 instead of $300 now that I have heard how stunning they are)

omg korgoasys was a toy of gods among men. Best action of all time. It was like hammer action but 100x smoother. It felt GOODto play.Not to mention the sound was absolutely stunning.

I also played the minimoog, drum kits, and dj turntables. It was a blast. Not to mention I played an Ibanez S prestige.That thing was good, but the OASYS is a fucking dream. no overestimate.

on my 88, I paid $299. I don't know what thatmeans for the 88es.

Just remember, it doesn't have speakers or onboard sound, so you MUST have it linked to a program on your computer to generate any sound!

That, or you can use the MIDI Out from the Pro or ES to connect to a MIDI In on a synthesizer.

I haven't played the 88 Pro, but I have an Axiom 61, which is another semi-weighted M-Audio model, and probably has similar action to the ES. I grew up as a classical pianist, and after years of lessons and playing, I'm pretty happy with the semi-weighted models with respect to piano playing; for things like a Hammond Organ or Rhodes, it's great (not that I have much to compare to, having only had the chance to play a real organ and rhodes a few times each). You do have to adjust your touch a lot to play semi-weighted when you're used to hammer-action, and if you don't really have a touch since you're a beginner, playing on semi-weighted will likely teach you the wrong thing.

I'd recommend a good hammer-action keyboard if you want to learn piano, with the caveat that it's probably better in the long run to spend less and get a cheaper one if it means you can get started playing significantly sooner (half a year or more) because you have the money for a cheaper one now. The longer you wait on something, the less likely you are to start it, or if you do, the less time you have to get good at it until life takes over and you find yourself running out of free time.

I have the M-Audio prokeys 88 SX, as my midi controller, which is a semi-weighted keyboard and it's perfect for me because it has onboard sounds too just in case of a gig or something.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88sx-main.html

DO NOT GET THE 88ES! I played around with a lot of keyboards when I bought mine, and a semi weighted feel is best for me. The 88 ES keys are disgustingly sticky and clicky and the action is uneven across the keys.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation88es-main.html

I would seriously recommend you go to a shop and play around and compare the different keyboards before buying. I am able to adapt to a number of different keyboards, but I'm sorry that ES was just plain nastiness. Please avoid.

I think I'm going to settle for a Casio PX310, for about $400-500 dollars. I think it would be a good long term 4-5 year investment. I've read alot of reviews on the product, and most people say its got the best action for under $1200 (its also got 32-note polyphony :/, but I dont think that will be a problem, because i'm no pro yet). My train of thought is that its better to learn it right the first time (as far as the feel goes for a piano), then to develop bad habits that are extremely hard to break. Do you think not having a mod, pitchbend, or nobs and sliders will be a problem for mixing and composing?

Anyways, much thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all the feedback, and helpful tips.

Do you think not having a mod, pitchbend, or nobs and sliders will be a problem for mixing and composing?

No you can do all that with a mouse. You can even enter notes with a mouse just fine. not having a pitch bend whell or a pedal (wah wah, whammy, ect) might be annoying sometimes. If you are learning to play stuff like fur elise though, I don't think there will be a problem. And if it is, you can also play as much as you can live and do the rest with the mouse in your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation - eg: pro tools, reaper)

I think I'm going to settle for a Casio 310Px, for about $400-500 dollars. I think it would be a good long term 4-5 year investment. I've read alot of reviews on the product, and most people say its got the best action for under $1200 (its also got 32-note polyphony :/, but I dont think that will be a problem, because i'm no pro yet). My train of thought is that its better to learn it right the first time (as far as the feel goes for a piano), then to develop bad habits that are extremely hard to break. Do you think not having a mod, pitchbend, or nobs and sliders will be a problem for mixing and composing?

Anyways, much thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all the feedback, and helpful tips.

That looks like a good pick for you. If you're really interested in learning the piano as an instrument, it's nice to have the builtin sounds and speakers -- this way you can play without needing to have your computer on. Plus you don't have to worry about latency or having to horse around with velocity curves. I've always liked the feel of DP's with builtin speakers too -- you can (slightly) feel the vibration of the instrument through your fingers, which makes it feel just a little bit more like the real thing.

For playing piano/EP type sounds (unless you're going for something trippy), you really don't need pitch or mod wheels. That's more for synth work, and you can always buy a more synth style controller later for that kind of stuff. For now you can just do it with a mouse like others have said.

I've been playing classical piano for about 10 years now, and recently got a Studiologic 88 key Fatar SL-990 midi controller. Compared to all the other digital pianos and midi controllers I've played, the action on this particular controller is the closest thing to a piano I've found to date.

I got it for $190 used, but you can't find the basic 990 model anymore.

Here's an updated version of the 990 (it has pitch bend and mod wheels now, which is a big plus)

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=47641&ovchn=SHOP&ovcpn=Sam+Ash+TL&ovcrn=47641&ovtac=CMP&AffiliateID=340

And here's another version of the Fatar which has a few more bells and whistles:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FATSL990PRO

Edit: Oh yeah, did I mention that it's only $350 new? Seriously, it's an amazing deal. I'd definitely look into it.

I like the action on the higher end Fatar's too. But it seems like they have a poor reliability record (I say this mostly from skimming Harmony Central user reviews, so take that for what it's worth).

Hmm, thx.. I'll take that into consideration, but I think I'm going to settle with the Casio. I have until Thursday this week to decide, but I'll keep looking

until then to see if I can find a better deal. The Fatar looks promising, but I would rather buy something slightly more expensive and have onboard sound, and better reliability.