OCR01710 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 'Groove, Sweet Groove'

Liontamer

Three weeks has passed and I'm back with my next masterpiece! Time to start counting days until next time I'm able to submit ;)

Now, prepare yourself for EXTENSIVE INFORMATION:

REMIX NAME: Groove Sweet Groove

Contact Info

* Remixer name: Another Soundscape

* E-mail: anothersoundscape@gmail.com

* UserID: 12912

[ edit ]

ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed: Final Fantasy 5

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: My Home, Sweet Home (or Home Sweet Home, I don't know the correct name)

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Final Fantasy V, the game no one really cared about until recently when it got a revival. I started this mostly because of AeroZ, his FFV remixes are amazing and he's always talking about how good the soundtrack is. So, after we met to see Distant Worlds and talked a lot I got an urge to finish this old piece I had been working on.

Right when I got Reason 4 (yeah I'm hip and trendy now) I realized the potential of the ReGroove tool and started making groovy drums. Since we just played a lot of Jazz in my drum lessons I got a lot of influences from there. The idea of making a 4/4 groove-based arrangement of Home Sweet Home wasn't really clear at first. It sorta came to life when I started experimenting with adding melodies from games I knew and loved and this one just jumped at me, sounding all good and stuff. So I started working!

I've really adapted the source, changing just about everything except the main melody. Honestly though, this source is all about that melody so I think it's okay. The only part that's NOT the main melody in the source is the part at 0.35 and I actually used that too and re-arranged it as a break (1.25 - 1.40) so I've covered the source while I definitely made it my own. ;)

I love Rhodes as always so I came up with some licks and added some .. let's call them counter-licks with a Hammond. I also tried out the new RPG-8 arpeggietor for the build-up and I must say I love it. Other than that the remix contains some serious Moogish soloing, a 909 playing un-tss, an odd time-sig fill, Thor, overusage of xylophone (I wish I was DrumUltimA) and my regular switch of styles towards the end (including accordion and swedish jewharp!). I think I severly butchered the original but I'm very happy with it and I know you can spot the original pretty well, in case you don't agree, see below.

For your pleasure I made a breakdown of source-usage because, since I changed so much, it can be tricky to spot:

00:23 - 00:29 - Cameo of the theme in a moog solo

00:38 - 01.09 - Xylophone constantly playing the melody. Rhodes backing it up.

01.09 - 01.25 - Rhodes taking the lead

01.25 - 01.40 - Break arranging the part of the source at 0.35 in the original

01.43 - 02.15 - Lead synths playing melody, xylophone counter-melodies

02.45 - 03.16 - The lead synth arranges the melody (left) while another synth backs it up with the original (right)

03.16 -> Essentially the xylophone is expanding the original melody but very freely. It's up to you if you count this or not.

If you don't count 03.16 and onwards it's ~128 seconds of source. in a 4 minute mix. That means 50%+. If you count the xylo, it's not even borderline :)

Anyway, I'm happy with this. I think it's kinda old-school OCR in style. Maybe that's because I spent the last week listening to Mazedude and djp.. now THERE's two people who can groove. Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy this and think I can groove too after hearing this remix :)

Kind Regards,

Mattias Häggström Gerdt (Another Soundscape)

MUCH LOVE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff5 - "My Home, Sweet Home" (ff5-1-31.spc)

Just threw this up so that the panel could check out this hotness. Thanks a lot for the time breakdown. Wasn't really feeling any connection from the 1:25-1:40 section upon comparison, but the xylo after 3:16 was able to nudge this over 50% with its very liberal spin on the source material.

I thought the production could have been a bit cleaner and better separated. The sequenced mallet percussion wasn't hitting me the right way during its more exposed/solo sections. Otherwise though, a very funky, creative spin on the original, and a very easy call.

YES

Love the source melody. I mentioned after listening to your WIP that the mix seemed pretty liberal, so the source breakdown is much appreciated. Like Larry, I think that the break you mentioned at 1:25-1:40 was too liberal, but the xylophone at the ending was more than enough to put you over the top as far as source usage is concerned. Glad to see I don't have to NO this because of that.

And really that's the only thing I could possibly NO this on. 2:45-3:16 sounds pretty cluttered, and the xylophone could be less mechanically sequenced (especially at the end), but other than that, yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh

YES

Another nice interpretation, Mattias. Very funky groove, cool soloing, and nice choices of instruments. I really dig that xylophone. While it's an easy pass on arrangement, I agree with CHz that it's a little cluttered in sections, and I also thought the synth leads sometimes get a little too loud and dominate the soundscape. Pushing them down a little would give you a more balanced picture, and bring out the nice supporting work. Very minor gripes, and not even close to stopping this one.

YES

rhodesbias.

Seriously though, you are a very good songwriter Mattias. We get so many submissions these days from people who don't seem to know what makes music worth listening to. You always put together an intelligent rhythm section, always pay attention to genre conventions (at least those that need to be followed), always have a deliberate shape to your arrangement, always create diverse, interesting melodies, and always make sure that things never plod on the harmonic end.

This is very good work. Some day, through either mind control or intimidation, I will get you to make a mix devoid of cheesy synth leads. And I will dance.

YES