*NO* Radical Dreamers 'Halucinogenic'

Liontamer

* Your ReMixer names: Ross Kmet & Fishy

* Name of game(s) arranged: Radical Dreamers

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Facing

RK: This is the most heavily drug influenced song in which no drugs were an actual influence. I picked up Facing on the Radical Dreamers project, but noticed that my beats lacked a certain, brutal-ness. This is when I asked fishy to play the bruitar in my song. After many many months of improvising, chopping, slicing, writing, playing, ect., I think myself and Fishy have created something that will blow some heads.

My inputs: I recorded all the guitar parts, the whispering, and sequenced the rock drums at the end. Everything was given to Ross dry except the first clean solo and the whispering, so you can see all the crazy shit he did with it. Basically, this is the most retardedly awesome thing ever submitted.

Remix:

Ross just left for somewhere for christmas so I don't know his details or anything but hes submitted before so you should have it, as have I.

PLZ CAN R BE NOT POSTING UNTIL RD PROJEKT IS OUT IF PASS!

Damn. You guys aren't kidding with that title. This song pulls out some really crazy effects. Overall, I thought it was a pretty cool arrangement. I love how liquid the song is, morphing into different styles fluidly and effectively. It's a good song to apply this trick on, as the original is pretty unsettling to begin with. You've changed it from something that sounds ancient to something a little more modern, while keeping the song's built-in creepiness. I wasn't the biggest fan of the transition at 1:16, but I think otherwise you did a good job with a difficult song structure.

The song is way too loud. Some of those guitars and synths get very piercing at the volume you have them at, and I think I hear some loss of quality because of that too. The levels are balanced well; just take the whole thing down, and hopefully that will restore some of the sound quality too. Otherwise, I think the song is produced well. I could see judges having issues with the weirdly-balanced section starting at 2:21, or the lo-fi guitars closing the song, but I thought both parts worked in this context. Nice work, fellas.

YES (conditional on volume)

Edit: Listened to the new version. Volume is fixed but the song isn't balanced quite as well as I first thought - it sounds like it's high-heavy and a little grating. Also, I hoped taking down the volume would restore some sound quality, but it didn't. Nevertheless, I'm going with borderline YES. I didn't feel either of these issues was strong enough to sink this. I'm curious to see what other Js have to say.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't listened to the previous version.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=rd - "Facing" (rd-12.spc)

Right off the BAT, too trebly. Weird how it seems to be murky, then the higher frequencies are just so biting and grating. Unacceptable as is; these issues are over the top and ruins the soundscape, so it would need to be fixed up.

The guitar part at 1:16-1:42 sounds really awkward and not very harmonious with the other instrumentation. The 2:20-3:01 section should have been cool, but the piano in the background sounded really thin and cheap, and got buried at 2:33 as the track ramped up. Meanwhile the treble was over the top and the track turned into a mess of noise, when the guitar wank should have been cleaner-sounding and dominating the foreground without the drums getting in the way. Instead, it was fighting the other sounds for the listener's ear. More of the same issues from 3:10-3:24.

I'm not even convinced the lo-fi sound of 3:28's closing section, a good concept, was even on purpose given how lo-fi and imbalanced everything sounded, which is sad.

I'll be honest in that the production is so distracting and the source tune so hard to internalize, that I don't have a good bead on where the interpretation is much of the time. If someone can spell it out better, that'd be great. But the production issues aren't something that's going to be fixed with some quick tweaks, so this is already a NO (resubmit). C'mon bros, clean this bitch up.

oh this is very fucking cool.

i'm drawn to it mercilessly by the erratic stylistic transformations... all the while keeping to the same psychotic, addictive, sugary groove. it is not so much halucinogenic as it is too overpowering, i think, for that. it really jars you and is hard to listen to at times. still, brilliant.

i do think the mixing and EQ is irritating, however and have to agree with larry on this one. for one, the treble is amped. my eyes want to burst out of my face a la total recall. the parts when the guitar metamorphs into evo is also rough on the audience and while i admire the stylistic boldness, i think you can do well with reelin her in a bit.

all in all, the track itself is a testament to y'all combined genius. it does what you would want it to do: explores the original's fundamental themes while not allowing it to be cornered by the original's musical themes.

brilliant remixing...

...with a few more steps. i disagree with larry on what side of the "EH" fence this one is on...

...rather than a NOresub, i think it's a

YEScond

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed on the issues with the treble... I also think the compression was a little excessive. I agree with most of Larry's criticisms except the 2:24 guitar wank, which I thought was excellent. Now, this IS a really creative mix. I liked the ending with the chopped guitar, the style changeups, and the interpretation in general. But I had a couple more issues. The section at 1:16 is just poorly written. It's somewhat dissonant, and dissonance is OK, but mainly it's just wandering and pointless. Doubling the guitar with piano doesn't make sense either. Then at 1:42, why is the rhodes playing major chords? It just doesn't sound right. As that section progresses, some of the harmonies don't seem to work for me. I like the thought but it's not well executed.

This one is just too sloppy for me to YES or condY at this stage. Keep at it, resub.

NO, resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Waaaay too much treble, it's a good thing I judge on speakers because my ears would be dead right now on headphones. That is the biggest issue for this mix right now. At about 1.13 the pads and piano seem to be on different planets concerning chords. A similar thing happens at 1.59 and at various other points in this mix - lots of dissonance. At 2.55 when the guitar is about to finish that section, my ears are just about dropping off. There is more, but I could only listen to this twice - my ears are hurting.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...