The Long Night - Deus Ex Remixes

eviljoker7075

Hey guys... I posted a while back about some remixes my band were working on... Well we've finally got one ready for you all to hear! This particular section is based on the Honk Kong levels and features the Wan Cai market music, in various forms!

You can download the track from this link:

The Long Night (Part 3): The Rise and Fall of Tong

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the music - any feedback or comments would be greatly welcomed!!

The first second is really attention-grabbing, so kudos on that! It's a little too sudden, but adding a some soft-attack pad to back it up, just 1/16 before the currently first note could fix that. You'd have to move everything forward, tho, unless you can move the timeline back without causing any problems.

Then, 0:21-0:41, is really weak, generic, and newb-ish. Still after that, the drums are really in need of some serious re-arranging. Even within what's possible for the average drummer, there's a lot that can be done about the drums. Much more hihat action would be cool, as would ghost hits on the snare and a more active kick. Then there's toms, crashes, rides, splashes, and all kinds of drums that can add to it. Already doing a proper mix on the drums would help, as I think the hihat is way too high, the kick is too short for this piece as well as seeming to push the master compression.

A louder and more active bass would be nice, as it's a bit lacking in that range. Aside from filling the low end of the frequency range and provide a drive for this tune, a bass also makes the kick sound less dry and more intergrated into the overall piece.

While it's interesting overall, the soundscape is pretty much the same throughout, with some minor breaks that blur the lines between more lasting changes. You should consider cutting it a little shorter, to kill some repetition. There's some subtle changes when an instrument fades in and such, but you could make those fade in faster and then cut out the repetition. You've also used a lot of fairly simple synths, which add to a kind'a newb feel, at least with drums like these.

Dull, odd and unfitting drums are your biggest problem, a repetitive soundscape being your second biggest. Try other drum samples, and do a proper mix on the drums. The soundscape could be cleaned up by just cutting it a little shorter, and doing a proper mix on it all, deciding what's important overall as well as in each frequency range and letting everything else be background.

I'm not saying this is bad music, because I enjoyed listening to it, but it's not finished music. There's some mix and arrangement issues that need to be dealt with, at least if you want it on OCR. So, good luck and come back! :D