Sign in to follow this  
Schwaltzvald

The Dark Knight

I really liked it as well, especially given the amazing portayal of the Joker. Honestly, though, it certainly wasn't "one of the best" in my opinion, particularly because of the poor quality of the larger-scale action sequences. I look forward to when this "shaky cam" fad is done away with, since IMO it's seldom a legitimate convention and almost always just a crutch in shooting action. I will say, though, they didn't use it to quite as horrible an effect in this as they did in Transformers, and all-in-all the positives of this movie more than outweighed the negatives.

The Joker was portrayed in an entirely new and original way, which was one of the coolest things about the movie. I also agree about the shaky cam fad thing. It's much worse in some other movies though. Ever seen The Bourne Ultimatum?

Oh my god shaky cam was such a colossal fail. Once I noticed in the Bourne Ultimatum that the camera never stopped moving, it consumed my attention the entire movie. It wobbled slightly during even the dialogue. Not to mention they could have slipped in a massive orgy in the background of one of the intense action scenes and it would have went unnoticed, thanks to the camera man being drunk and masturbating while tripping on ecstasy.

Lol only Bourne movie I've seen was Ultimatum and it was the most shaky thing ever. Got on my nerves bad >_<

My biggest problem was the movie was the boat scene, I really wish they'd given both boats the detonators to their own explosives, then the citizen boat would be the only one to go down. None of this feel-goody toss the explosives out the window crap...

In any case, very good movie. Liked it more the more I watched it, and by the third time (My family's poor at coordinating going to movies >_<), it's going to be one of the few movies I own, next to Boondock Saints and Donnie Darko.

Well, in reality, it IS entirely possible that the Joker gave them the detonators for their own boats. In fact, I think that's exactly what he did; it's just no one pulled the trigger. I'm actually glad they *didn't* detonate either of the boats because it may have pushed an already dark movie over the edge.

That being said, I'm not a fan of shaky-cam or quick-cutaways (Anything Michael Bay related) in fight scenes either. A little bit of it here and there might serve to spice up the action, but by overdoing it, everything becomes cluttered.

The Joker was portrayed in an entirely new and original way, which was one of the coolest things about the movie.

For movies maybe.

The joker is a psychopathic creep who kills on a whim. He's always been twisted, funny, dark and freaking smart.

I mean, it was even seen in the Justice League episode where he plants bomb all around Vegas. He outsmarted the league, and came close to winning, and he planted bombs ALL OVER VEGAS!

I am a shaky-cam hater, but quite honestly I've seen the movie 3 times and still don't see the shaky-cam argument. Not once did I get lost during an action scene -- I thought it was all quite clear what was happening and who it was happening to.

Even the club brawl where Batman is going after the interim mafia headguy, with its strobe lights and techno music, was easily discernible.

The shaky cam problem is one of those things that people think they're smart for commenting on, even if it's not there.

In all seriousness, the only recent movie that has had a problem with that was Transformers, and in that film it made sense because there were giant fucking robots blowing up shit everywhere. You don't really get a chance to stand perfectly still and watch something when a car is throwing another car at a building.

I think there's some shaky cam aspect there. But again, I think the action was simply too dark to really see WTF was actually going on at times. Batman Begins had the same exact problem. Nolan really isn't an action movie director by nature anyway. Both his Batman movies were far more about the psychological and political implications of Batman than him being a superhero. That's why we saw so few of pure Batman scenes compared to scenes of other people and Joker causing mayhem.

I think there's some shaky cam aspect there. But again, I think the action was simply too dark to really see WTF was actually going on at times. Batman Begins had the same exact problem. Nolan really isn't an action movie director by nature anyway. Both his Batman movies were far more about the psychological and political implications of Batman than him being a superhero. That's why we saw so few of pure Batman scenes compared to scenes of other people and Joker causing mayhem.

But that was one of the cool aspects of the movie. I liked that a lot! It made the movie so much more interesting.

Buys, the movie about BATMAN, a guy who fights criminals at NIGHT, using FEAR as his weapon was too DARK. It was hard to see in the DARK.

Also, the SONAR that allowed us to see more in the DARK was TOO MUCH.

I hate things that are TRENDY or POPULAR because I'm HOT SHIT or something.

the only recent movie that has had a problem with that was Transformers, and in that film it made sense because there were giant fucking robots blowing up shit everywhere. You don't really get a chance to stand perfectly still and watch something when a car is throwing another car at a building.

Ha ha. ok I agree with that. No one stands perfectly still when something as huge as a car is tossed in the air. However I still couldn't tell what was happening in some of the fight scenes, which I am still disappointed about.

P.S: Nice sig dude.

The shaky cam problem is one of those things that people think they're smart for commenting on, even if it's not there.

In all seriousness, the only recent movie that has had a problem with that was Transformers, and in that film it made sense because there were giant fucking robots blowing up shit everywhere. You don't really get a chance to stand perfectly still and watch something when a car is throwing another car at a building.

Personally, I think it's a legitimate comment, since it can detract from the enjoyment of the film, and is the lazy director's out for action scenes ("I don't know how to film action, so I'll just move the camera around a bunch to 'get the audience involved!'"). To be honest, I don't see it being somehow ok in Transfromers just because it had giant robots fighting. Camera movement or placement doesn't inherently have anything to do with whether the characters are standing still or moving around a lot.

Like I said, with Dark Knight, the fact that they used shaky cam wasn't a dealbreaker since it had much more going for it, and that it wasn't used to as awful an effect as in Transformers. It's just that if the action was better shot, the movie as a whole would be that much better. A little more nitpicky, I also think that in addition to better camera use, several of the action sequences could have used a little different lighting effects and sharper contrast to make it even more dynamic - as I recall the lighting often got pretty mottled and didn't end up adding value to the sequence outside of basic atmosphere. As it stands, the action was mediocre for the most part when it easily could have been really cool.

Offtopic, but for Watchmen I'm not too worried about the technical side since I think Snyder has proven himself in that regard - it's the complexity of the story, etc that I'm more worried about. And Ozymandias looks wrong. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I noticed every bit of the action in the dark knight, and had no problem with the cam. Its pretty easy to see whats going on in the fight scenes.

But transformers wise, all the decepiticons in the last fight kinda blended together. So I was like, WTF.

In regards to the shaky camera:

I personally believe that the camera is not a character in the story, it does not need to abide by the laws of physics. It is a window into the world the directors are creating. When a director attempts to personify the camera and does not acknowledge its presence, it detracts from the overall experience. I personally can tolerate a few shaky camera shots in a direct shot movie. Tolerate mind you.

I've seen "Cloverfield". I am okay with the whole shaky camera effect, it felt in place... it was a character. I've seen "Transformers". Completely dissatisfied with the shaky camera shots. It not only detracted from the action, it detracted from the art that went into CG renderings and the art of filming. It is a cheap way to film a sequence you're not to sure to show, as another has stated.

I would love to have this "fad" be buried along with the 70s "drug trips".

But transformers wise, all the decepiticons in the last fight kinda blended together. So I was like, WTF.

That's probably because all the Decepticons looked pretty much the same. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say they all were the same, since Bay seemed to think that none of the Decepticons needed any personality at all.

"I don't know how to film action, so I'll just move the camera around a bunch to 'get the audience involved!'"

ten years from now, every film director has ever action scene in slow motion from a fixed camera angle

people on the internet are like 'wtf this is unrealistic it's too slow directors don't kno what they're doing'

Yeah, I know the movie is probably still in theaters, but does anybody know when it will be out on DVD? I'm dyin to buy it and sit it proudly next to my set of other crummy dvds....

Yeah, I know the movie is probably still in theaters, but does anybody know when it will be out on DVD? I'm dyin to buy it and sit it proudly next to my set of other crummy dvds....

Sad thing is that the movie market is so chock full of predictable horror movies that there's few movies worth actually having. The Dark Knight is one of the few ;)

So i know he already was the main villian in SpiderMan but...

What do you think of Willem Dafoe as The Riddler. He'd do a way better role than Johnny Depp (IMO)

and he's a good enough actor to pull it off and not seem like Osborn from Spiderman 1 or 2