Mega Man 20th Anniversary CDs

XZero

So as many of you probably know, Capcom released 4 CDs in the last month or so; OST versions of Mega Man 7 & 8 and Rock and Techno arranged remixes of 1-6 songs. For those who have them or have heard songs from them, what do you think?

My opinion: The Mega Man 8 one sounds fine (it's the PS1 version), and it actually includes the cutscene music. I have a slight problem with the Mega Man 7 one: there was a Mega Man 7 gamerip available for a few years prior to this CD coming out, and whoever ripped and encoded it did so at a slightly higher quality than the CD version. As for the remix albums, I'm kind of torn. I was expecting something like the Dracula Battle or Black Mages remixes for the rock CD. These songs aren't bad, but I feel that they're lacking something. The techno album is better, yet I still feel like something's missing.

Regarding the remix CDs, I have two main complaints. The remixes, while good, don't blow me away. I've heard comparable (better in some cases) remixes on OC for the same songs. Also, their choice to include single-loops of the original NES versions of the songs remixed seems like a way of getting out of doing two or three more arrangements and just taking up space. I, like many other owners of these CDs, already have the Rockman 1-6 album, and don't need to be reminded what the songs originally sounded like.

Overall, despite my complaints, I still felt these CDs were worth the money (well, not the Mega Man 7 one). I restate my question from above for the rest of you: to those among you who have heard the remixes or own the CDs, what do you think?

I have the Rock arrangement album sitting on my desk, and the others are in the process of being shipped here. :-) I'll say this much about the Rock arrangements: they're fairly good, mostly. Like Vurez, I like the Yamato Man mix a lot. Some of the others are a bit less than what I was hoping, but I guess I've just been spoiled by OCR itself.

That all said, I have come across a fansite that has these albums plus previous ones available for download. Even though Capcom has contacted this site and told them that they don't mind too much that they're available for download (as long as they've already been released), I still don't think OCR policy will permit me sharing this link on the site.

If XZero is as accurate as he says about the cds, I'd probably have better stuff from my rare-mix hunting expeditions...

I'll set up another zip later either today or tomorrow with different stuff megadave.

Awesome, I appreciate it. Thanks anyway, Soundscape.