Liontamer

Musicalman

arranged ,performed , recorded by Pascal Lamarche

info@pascallamarche.com

game: Metal gear

title:snake's revenge

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metlgear.zip - Track 2

The treble's too high on this one, IMO, with the cymbals coming in way too hot. That should be fixed before it goes up.

Loved the dropoff at 1:26, more at the 1:37 section with the subtle guitar work. The brass work at 1:52 felt a bit exposed, but was still more than serviceable.

Otherwise, just a rock solid arrangement to me. The rhythm of the drums under the source tune did feel a little repetitive, but that was minor amidst the rest of the creativity here. Some good dynamics in the middle to keep things fresh, good soloing, and good energy.

Even though virt's Splatterhouse arrangement was easily my highest scorer when I voted on the competition, I can definitely can see how this won the MAGFest DoD month. Solid debut from Pascal; I'm definitely looking forward to hearing a lot more from you.

YES (conditional)

• 4 weeks later...

Aw, hell. This thing just kicks ass all around town. High quality sounds used in awesome ways. Epic intro, excellent performances, and some really cool detours. I could have listened to another minute of this easily. It'd be incredibly hard to say NO to this and yet...

...Larry's dead on about the cymbals. This song is already pretty loud, and the cymbals are really loud. I feel like I can't play this at the volume I want to because the high end just gets overpowering. If you can tone it down a little, this is a no-brainer pass.

YES (conditional on volume)

• 1 month later...

Very nice track. Not my favorite from the DoD, but still good enough for points. Good orch-rock conversion without a dull moment. Production ranges from okay to good. Brass is kind of weak as has been mentioned, but not too bad. I thought it was worse in the intro when it's blaring than in the middle when it's just accompanying, personally. Parts are all balanced well enough.

Work those cymbals down and get the sampling rate down to 44.1 kHz from 48 and you're good.

YES (conditional)

This is sick overall; reminiscent of Advent Children's OST, stylistically. I have to agree the cymbals/hats are too loud, and the drums are kinda plain, but in general the production is quite good, and the mix of sounds is highly creative. I like that it's not just straight-up guitars, drums, and bass like so many other tracks we get that are guitar-driven. The female vox, whether they were sampled or live, were a nice touch. Great interpretation & performance.

YES, conditional (fix highs/cymbals)