Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LuketheXjesse

Making IRC/Chat work

5 posts in this topic

25hmmvp.png

I have a LOT of time in between classes, and being able to chat in the library would be real nice. Except that this happens. I've installed IRC before but it doesn't do anything.

Halp? :[

Me thinks that your school blocks the fancy fancy ports that IRC uses, as do most universities...and businesses....and so on. You're pretty much boned.

The typical ports are 6666, 6667 and 7000. I would download mIRC rather than use the site's jIRC so you would be able to customize your settings easier. I know that my university blocks enterthegame, the server OCR is on. But I could connect to other servers. When selecting your server, choose edit and you should be able to tinker around with the port numbers. I think for to get on to enterthegame, 7000 works pretty nicely. The default settings might have the client stubbornly try to get through using only one port. Once you've accessed the server, then type /join #ocremix and you're done. You could probably pick a suitable name for yourself using the /nick command.

port 6666 works in my C++ class but then it's stuck at the looking up your hostname part.

Know anything about that?