OceansAndrew

Jakesnke17

Jacob Diaz

http://djjd.bandcamp.com

My UserID: Jakesnke17: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=28914

Submission Information

Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man 10

"Switchblade Fangs"

Mega Man 2 "Quick Man's Theme", Mega Man 3 "Snake Man", and Mega Man 10 "Blade Man".

Mega Man 10:

Hey all, this is my 2nd submission for OCRemix, just wanted to go into a little bit of a backstory I guess. This one was my entry for the Grand Robot Master Remix Battle: Round 1. I originally had Quick Man as my source but...there was an error in the listing between who got what, so I ended up with Snake Man. This is also my 2nd time remixing the same source, only this time with other sources (Quick Man included, even though, it's only a second long). Spent a lot of time on this one and I think in the end it sounded kinda cool, only problem being I had to sacrifice audio quality for the length of the song. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy. :D

• 4 weeks later...

The arrangement feels a bit long, but there is plenty of variation throughout. I think a bit of it could be trimmed to have more dominant source, and give it a little more energy, but as an extended mid-tempo mix, it works pretty well.

The samples are a little on the generic side, though the detailed layering helps the song feel better. THe ending was a bit weaker than the rest, due to the solo piano nature of it, but there was a lot of interesting filtering and changeups added to make it feel interesting, sonically.

Overall, I feel it's a little close, but I think it does enough right to be considered.

Yes

I think Andrew essentially got this just right. The arrangement is good, but runs a little long, and because it's a little lower on energy as a whole it's harder to keep focus. The samples are ok, and they are used well, which improves them drastically, although nothing was wowing me completely. It's a close one, but it squeaks by for me.

YES (borderline)

• 2 months later...

I remember this mix very fondly from the GRMRB, the level of effort and detail really stood out to me back then, and it does now, too. The arrangement, piano writing, and use of sound effects are all high points in the song that feel especially well done. In fact, I can't sing enough praises about the arrangement itself, which I feel totally justifies the 6 minute runtime by constantly changing up but keeping the classic Jakesnke chiptune flavor present almost all of the time. I'm very impressed!

I'll agree that the soundscape is pretty thin throughout most of the mix, and it does become an issue at times since the samples you're working with are not very full. I know I've pointed this out several times while listening to your mixes; When you've got strings/pads or sustained synths going on in the background it helps fill out the soundscape a lot. I think this song clicks best at times like 1:20 or 2:35, and while the rest of it is not bad by any means at all, I'd take note of what you did in those sections of the song and see if you can't apply that to some of your future submissions.

All advice aside though, this one feels like a pass to me. It feels like there's just enough direction to the mix that it doesn't become plodding and aimless, and there's plenty of flair to the transitions/effects/melodies to compensate for the weaker samples. Definitely the most impressive arrangement I've heard from you yet, keep honing the production side of things and you'll be an OCR all-star in no time dude :-D

YES

PS: Let's have someone trim off the near 20-seconds of silence at the end of the song before this gets posted, if it passes.

I wasn't wowed by this, but was able to appreciate the variety in writing, and the solid production. I got the sense this mix came about more from playing around with the melodies rather than having a clear idea ahead of time of what the mix should sound like. It feels a little directionless, but I still enjoyed it, and the flow was decent. The thing I'm most concerned about is the balance, which gets a little out-of-whack sometimes. The lead at 0:31 is really in-your-face, and should have been brought down a bit. Same with the piano later. We're not talking dealbreaker, but while we're getting him to chop off ten seconds of silence, I'll ask him if he wants to fix the balance issues.

YES