OCR02481 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Shikashi's Dream'

DragonAvenger

remixer name: anterroir

User-Id: 45718

game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

arrangement: shikashi's dream

original: Astral Observatory |

Hi,

I took a shot at the Astral Observatory Theme - trying to turn it's happiness into a more moody, dark direction.

Reactions in the forum were mixed if it would pass for the originality part as it's following the chord progression somewhat close and I quote a lot but on te other hand it's heavily mixed with original ideas. We'll see if it passes :D

• 1 month later...

So, despite disliking this source for it's super saccharine feel, I've heard at least two mixes that I've liked of it and did some really cool things with it arrangement-wise. This is one of those two mixes, and I think you did some pretty neat things with it. My one qualm with the mix overall is that there are some areas that are somewhat sparse in terms of instrumentation. It doesn't bother me too much, but I could see the other judges having issue with it. I'm giving you a yes, though!

YES

Cool idea to modulate the track while keeping the melody the same. The soundscape is barren but spacious, and the production is balanced, with some nice percussive textures. The song progression is very slow burning, which is not something that i'm really used to, but the track progresses and builds nonetheless. I think the left-panned synth could use a slightly more present delay, but otherwise things gelled pretty convincingly.

I do think the length is a little long, but overall I was feeling this. The second half doesn't feel as unique as the first, so it plateaus a little before the breakdown. Overall the sequencing was good, and I enjoyed the warm strings. I do think a bit of editing would have improved this, but I am still down with passing it.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

This mix does a really great job of taking a sugary-sweet ballad and pulling out the inner-sorrow from the original melodies and turning it into something much more emotional. Great use of sound effects to set the atmosphere, though when you're working with such a minimalist soundscape, I'd suggest bumping up your ambiance a bit during certain sections just to fill the space.

Your beats are sufficiently phat, and they keep the mix moving nicely. Synth choices are all pretty basic but complement the light atmospherics and piano base very well. No qualms there :-)

Arrangement-wise, I agree that this drags to an extent. You could have probably trimmed a little bit of fat to shorten the arrangement slightly, but it's still a very enjoyable ride. The original writing/soloing meshes well with the melodies and progression of the original so that the source is not always immediately present, but remains a dominating influence at all times, anyway.

Just another nitpick, your piano notes often feel like they're being played just a little bit too forcefully, I'd recommend experimenting more with softer notes for the bulk of your melodies, you might find that it results in a more pleasant sound. Just a suggestion for future reference though :-)

This is good stuff man, definitely something I'm looking forward to seeing on the front page!

YES

disliking this source

this is HERESY. just fyi.

great arrangement here. didn't know what to think at first, but when that piano melody came in, it all clicked. theres some really great reharmonizations going on here. the mix pushes the boundaries as far as being too liberal, but quite enjoyed this overall. hope to hear some more subs from you in the future!

YES