Photo

Trying to fill up my Ipod 160 with VG music, suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

Older arcade soundtracks like The NInja Warriors and Zuntata albums often are pretty pricey - usually between $30-40 for their soundtrack releases. The games were from the 80s, so supply was a bit lower, as well as demand. There are periodic rereleases from time to time but they are still roughly comparable in price range. It's a pretty profitable niche market though because some crazies (I'm not far off from joining them) will pay many times for that type of stuff.

That's what is great about sega saturn games (and I think Mega-Cd games) - redbook audio on all the games. Just pop in a Saturn CD and the soundtrack is yours for the ripping (E.G. for anyone interested my rip of RayForce's soundtrack*** - I haven't gotten around to ripping my other games in my moderate collection).

For newer games I don't know - you never hear any press over the release of a game's soundtrack, outside of exceptional cases like Bioshock, and media darlings like Portal 2.

***If this is against site policy DO NOT HESITATE TO REMOVE THIS LINK - I am sorry if that is the case -in my defense I own the game and derive no profit from sharing its soundtrack!

#42 K.B.

K.B.

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

shooter games

Ikaruga. Ex: Butsutekkai, Reality.

U.N. Squadron / Area 88. Ex: Enemy Air Force.

Sky Shark. Most of the soundtrack.

Everyone should listen to Ikaruga's soundtrack. It's bloody amazing.

Edit: I just remembered CHz linking this from Android Assault in irc ages ago. Haven't heard the rest of the soundtrack but hot damn that sax is sexy.

And sure, what the hell: Subterranean Animism's soundtrack is worthwhile if you can put up with bad samples (although I think they're tolerable by that point in the series [trumpet notwithstanding]).

#43 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ha ha, the less of ZUN's work you actually end up listening to, the better (I feel); if you listen to too much of his work you realize that they all kind of sound the same.

#44 Kainchild

Kainchild

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Awesome selection guys. Keep em coming! Still got gigs free for use.

#45 SgtYayap

SgtYayap

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Anyone contributed the soundtracks to the first two Myst games? I highly recommend those if you're into slower game music.
"Ugh! Good thing that food nipple's waiting for me at the starship, 'cause man! Hoo! Have I worked up a BIG, GRUNTY, THIRST!!"

http://ad.fly/229633...ns.bandcamp.com

#46 Kainchild

Kainchild

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Anyone contributed the soundtracks to the first two Myst games? I highly recommend those if you're into slower game music.

Got every Myst soundtrack AND beat every Myst game. I loved Peter Gabriel's contribution to the fourth one.

#47 K.B.

K.B.

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Tangent incoming. Please ignore if looking for recommendations.

Ha ha, the less of ZUN's work you actually end up listening to, the better (I feel); if you listen to too much of his work you realize that they all kind of sound the same.

With regard to some samples, sure. Compositionally, however, there's enough variety for each piece to be distinct. He's not immune from occasionally re-using motifs, but they're just that - motifs - and they usually aren't noticeable since they're in a different context.

The chief problem with a good number of ZUN's pieces from a compositional (not production [what production?]) standpoint is that there's a good amount of repetitiveness within them (again note: not between them). Stuff like Fall of Fall and Infinite Nightmare have some neat ideas and are enjoyable until you get to the third minute of what should have been a one-minute track. Or Mooned insect with its whopping four unique bars of melody (not including key changes) for fifty seconds. That said, there are still a good number with enough actual writing to remain interesting throughout.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize or even to have an aversion to his work, but saying everything sounds similar - from a compositional standpoint, anyway - is simply wrong.

Just like pointing out the games amongst other shmups, it's fair to point out the music amongst other vg soundtracks. "Here's something else you might want to try". That's it, really.

#48 PriZm

PriZm

Fox McCloud (+1200)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMontreal. QC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Xenosaga soundtracks (basically anything by Yuki Kajiura)
Silent Hill soundtracks, especially the vocal tracks
Posted Image

#49 Unstable Hamster

Unstable Hamster

JC Denton (+950)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hey, check out God Hand OST. It's got some groovy stuff. And while you're at it, check out God Hand, it's a groovy game.
Posted Image
3DS: 1504-5768-2443 (Let me know you added me!)

#50 The Coop

The Coop

Mr. X (+23000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,155 posts
  • LocationOutskirts of B.F.E.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

A few more OSTs to look up...

Black & White (PC game)
Black & White 2 (PC game)
Both can be listened to on YouTube here.

The I of the Dragon (PC game)
Can be listened to on YouTube here. There are two versions of this OST; the import that's more dramatic (which is in the link), and the US version that was altered to be more ambient (and is a bitch to find).

Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)

Master of Monsters (Genesis)
Can be listened to on YouTube here.

Soul Star (Sega CD)

jon_talbain_and_smiley_meet_felicia_by_tanidiaboss2a.gif

#51 CinnamonJihad

CinnamonJihad

Goomba (+100)

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Yowza, that's pretty steep stuff. Even then though where do you get that stuff? Maybe I will stop spending my money on soda and save up enough to buy me some retro music :P

#52 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Here's a ZUNTATA soundtrack that's really different:
Rakugaki Oukoku: Garakuta Masterpiece Theater

Not ZUNTATA, but just surreal:
The Dig

Posted Image

#53 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Maverick Rising: http://maverick.ocremix.org/
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#54 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Maverick Rising: http://maverick.ocremix.org/

Whoa, props dude! That's quite the difficult find! :<

Posted Image

#55 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Tamaya Kawamoto, if I can guess anything about her from her compositional style, is that she is definitely a Euro-phile - or a Francophile to be precise : D

A lot of her tracks sound like they'd fit right in with Euro dance music, and others sound heavily french (like Ceramic Heart - which has sampled French vocals ha ha). Though I think this particular track from Pengel is Italian - but I can't tell. >.>

The chief problem with a good number of ZUN's pieces from a compositional (not production [what production?]) standpoint is that there's a good amount of repetitiveness within them (again note: not between them). Stuff like Fall of Fall and Infinite Nightmare have some neat ideas and are enjoyable until you get to the third minute of what should have been a one-minute track. Or Mooned insect with its whopping four unique bars of melody (not including key changes) for fifty seconds. That said, there are still a good number with enough actual writing to remain interesting throughout.

While I do admit to having an aversion to ZUN's works (aesthetics, but playing 5, 6, and 7 and thinking they were really boring wasn't going to see me trying the rest of the series to see if they've improved), I admit that the music is the best thing I can say about ZUN! EG, I've printed up some of the piano music to his work, like Byakuren's Theme and Septette for the Dead Princess. I don't deny there being good tracks out there.

On the flip side of the coin, there are examples you've mentioned that are a bit bloated, and I feel the fact that he uses practically the same instruments every game makes everything sound samey despite any variational technique in composition.

#56 Grimm

Grimm

Chocobo (+20)

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

Often overlooked OSTs of awesome:
Lords of the Realm

THIS. Lords2 FTW.

I second - SMRPG, Red Alert, Halo, FF6

Not yet mentioned - Skyward Sword OST, Secret of Mana, anything by Video Games Live. If you're into anime as well get LOTS and LOTS of Yoko Konno and Joe Hisaishi.

EDIT: I forgot - MASS EFFECT 2. BGC will appreciate it if you go sharing the love around.

#57 Kainchild

Kainchild

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ok got everything you guys suggested. NEED MORE! Keep em coming!

Note: BTW wow that maverick rising is 2.83 gb OMG :shock:

#58 Kainchild

Kainchild

Octorok (+25)

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

THIS. Lords2 FTW.

I second - SMRPG, Red Alert, Halo, FF6

Not yet mentioned - Skyward Sword OST, Secret of Mana, anything by Video Games Live. If you're into anime as well get LOTS and LOTS of Yoko Konno and Joe Hisaishi.

EDIT: I forgot - MASS EFFECT 2. BGC will appreciate it if you go sharing the love around.

Yeah I tried to find the soundtrack to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Joe Hisaishi and any of his other works for Hayao Miyazaki he did but can't seem to find them anywhere. If you got some links, please set me up, thanks.

#59 Grimm

Grimm

Chocobo (+20)

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

IDK about MP3 downloads but there's always Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...00APFK7S/works/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums