Wes McDonald – 16467

Submission information:

Game arranged: Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess

ReMix name: "Forest of Purple Mist"

Songs arranged: "Faron Woods"

Composer: Koji Kondo, Toru Minegishi, Asuka Ota

mp3 attached

Jordanrooben’s comments:

About a year ago, I discovered OCReMix through videos on Youtube, and in a short time I made it a goal to become a posted mixer there. Best. Decision. Ever. The people in the WIP forums have helped me so much in my remixing and composing skills that I wouldn't even be considering an OCReMix submission if it weren't for them! Thank you to everyone, especially Rozovian and Chimpazilla! I can hardly see why Chimp fell in love with this mix so much, but I'm so glad she did! If it weren't for her, this would never have gone anywhere. And thanks to her, I've fallen in love with this track too. A huge thanks to Emunator too, for his help finalizing the writing and mixing on the track. It's an honor. It's been a great experience, and I hope you'll like it!

Chimpazilla’s comments:

I discovered Jordan’s Faron Woods remix in the wip forum in February 2012. I was immediately captivated by the melodies and countermelodies he had written. Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game… and I was transported right back to Faron Woods while listening. There was something magical about this mix for me… it touched me deeply. Jordan made several updates but I felt that he could use some assistance with drumming and mixing, which he was kind enough to allow me to do. The updated song then caught Emunator’s attention, and he liked it enough to dive in and help with some final writing edits, some instrument replacements, some improved mixing and a brand new ending. Faron Woods never sounded so good!

The song has changed in some ways but basically stays true to the melodies Jordan originally wrote, with some additional embellishments added. I am thrilled to have been part of this collaboration with Jordan and Wes, two very fine gentlemen. I hope we have captured the mystical feel of spending a weekend in the beautiful Faron Woods!

Emunator’s comments:

I came on board this arrangement in the 11th hour when I heard it on the WIP forums in a very after the arrangement was pretty locked in. I fell in love with the very anime/orchestral style that Jordan and Kristina had crafted, and found the instrument choices and dancing melodies very inspiring. The arrangement was already great, but I wanted to do what I could with my (very) minimal experience to help improve the production end of this track.

I actually met with Kristina in person to work on this track and, over the course of a day, we made a mountain of changes to the remix, including replacing samples nearly across the board, resequencing certain instruments/percussion, and adding on a brand new outro, which is the only actual writing I did in this track. There were some limitations that we had to work with on this track because of how absurdly complex the project file had become, but I'm pretty happy with the final result. Thanks so much to Kristina and Jordan for letting me be a part of this mix!

Source:

• 3 months later...

A subtly complex arrangement. When you have something this low-key, it can be easy to fall back on simple writing, but there's a lot going on underneath the surface. Almost too much at times; sometimes I wished there had been more a lead to take the focus (and maybe that comes down to the production). I still think this is solidly above the bar though, with the quieter moments being especially lovely. Great job you three!

YES

• 1 month later...

Wow, really loved the uplifting feel parts of this had compared to the moody original. Awesome harmonic modifications. Production was solidly above the bar with some nice samples. I was getting a little tired of that oboe or whatever it is lead, like palp I think introducing something with a little more oomph would've livened up the later half of the track.

overall though I am in love with this arrangement, great collab, fellas.

YES

I'm liking the pacing of this track guys. It continues to evolve throughout in interesting ways, which keeps things fresh throughout. You were very creative with partwriting and the arrangement is fantastic.

Things do start to get a little over-busy in places like 1:30 - 1:45, so be careful to not let backing parts interfere with your leads.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of that oboe lead. The dynamics of it sound a bit flat at times and it sounds like it's lacking body in the sound. Still, it gets the job done. String stabs sounded a bit dry to me as well. Overall, though, production is over the bar.

Nice job guys.

YES

Have to say I'm not a big fan of that oboe lead. The dynamics of it sound a bit flat at times and it sounds like it's lacking body in the sound. Still, it gets the job done. String stabs sounded a bit dry to me as well. Overall, though, production is over the bar.

Yeah, I really wasn't a fan of much of the instrumentation. The string articulations in particular were poor and just came off as sloppy compared to nearly everything else. The oboe was flat as well. They're serviceable, but it's a shame, because a lot of the other instrument choices also sounded pretty sweet. On the seesaw of what works vs. what doesn't, at least more of it works.

The arrangement carries it, and I liked the approach, but this isn't something I can get immersed in on account of the flaws. I won't make the perfect the enemy of the good, but if this were closer to perfect, that'd be nice. :lol:

YES (borderline)