OCR02896 - *YES* Golden Sun: The Lost Age 'Rebirth of Mars'

DragonAvenger

Contact info:

Your ReMixer name: Matt R & S Battle

Your real name: Mattias Rasmussen & Sean Battle

Your website: facebook.com/mattiasras

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 46911

Submission info:

Name of game(s) arranged: Golden Sun

Name of arrangement: Rebirth of Mars

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Mars Lighthouse (also contains phrases from "Battle! [Jenna]" and "The Final Beacon", also from Golden Sun)

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Gameboy Advance. Composed by Motoi Sakuraba.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: After having overwhelmingly positive feedback from our previous Golden Sun arrange of Venus Lighthouse (also submitted to OCR), we wanted to make a follow up with better production and arrangement!

----------------

Edited by djpretzel

I'm on the fence on this one. I feel like the first half is way too much of a cover, and the rest kinda loses focus of the source. Maybe I'm not hearing the connections as clearly as I should be, and another judge can give me a better idea of what I'm missing.

Aside from that I'm down with the production, although I don't think the synths entirely fit into the soundscapes as well as they could at times. They feel a bit like they're sitting on top. By itself I'm not seeing it being enough of an issue to affect the decision in the end, so it's down to arrangement to me.

Vote later

Production and performance on this is excellent, with great details and variation throughout. It is very obvious that a ton of care went into each element of this song. Overall It has some nice cameos, and the arrangement is so varied and the Final Beacon section at the end is so epic, that I am pretty much blown away.

Super Yes

ps joojes: other sources:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great sources! The mix does play it fairly close the the Lighthouse source a good part of the time, but the personalization is there. What an interesting arrangement, the addition of the other sources works to make it varied but it still feels cohesive. Wonderful drum writing and syncopations. Track keeps my attention all the way through.

I hear what Deia means about the synths, for example from 2:41 to 3:05 the synths compete with the lead guitar somewhat, and that whole section is nearly too busy as a result... but I think generally they fit in well enough and they definitely have some personality. I think the synth work compliments this arrangement really well and gives it some good excitement.

Kick could stand to be a drop louder. Other than that, no production crits to speak of, this is really dynamite.

This track will make a great addition to OCR. Nice work, guyzzz!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, yeah, there's not a whole lot I can say about this one that hasn't been said, but it's sweet. Even though it's conservative, it doesn't reek of "cover" to me by any stretch of the imagination. Plenty of personalizing to my ears. The production is very clean; every element has its place in the mix, and the parts are tight without being mechanical. While I'm not a huge fan of the hi-hat samples, that's a very minor nitpick.

Enough talk, let's get this on the front page!

YES