OCR01494 - *YES* F-Zero 'The Flood Plain'

JJT

Hey guys,

In case you couldn't tell by now, I love the original F-Zero soundtrack.

This is a Big Blue arrangement I did awhile ago, and it was written in the same manner as "Silent Progression." I learned the melody, came up with a loose outline in my head for the arrangement, practiced a few sections, then recorded some takes. This was the best one.

On a side note, this is the last recording I ever did with the setup I used for LfTY and Silent Progression: a couple days later i broke the right channel on my mobilepre, rendering it incapable of recording in stereo.

Anyway.

It's sloppy at times, but Gray convinced me to submit. Plus, people don't seem to be submitting live recordings of actual pianos these days. Maybe not my best work, but I think some people will enjoy this.

Game: F-Zero

Original: Big Blue

Remix: The Flood Plain

Remixer: JJT

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=fz - "Big Blue" (fz-02.spc)

You were hesitant on submitting this? You crazy ass foo.

Hey, what are you doing at :32? You got up and started plucking the piano strings or something? Whatever it was, I wish it was louder. Cool idea; too bad boosting it up would have probably made the hiss too loud, but I like it.

Source tune kicked in at :54 with a nice piano adaptation of the source, holding to a pretty conservative but personalized, flamboyant-sounding and nicely expanded arrangement. You notice a nice increase in energy and additive parts/embellishments at 2:10. Chorus at 2:36 felt pretty smooth except for what sounded like a slightly sour chord at 2:45.

The 3:09-4:11 section dragged a bit, especially the left-hand, but once Jon moved away from that into another delicate variation of the source at 4:12 to finally break that up I was feeling it again. There's a pop at 3:38 that needs to be fixed. Nice segue into original material at 4:43; pretty smooth change there that positioned things towards the finish.

That ending at 5:18... "Pff?" Thump and then...it's over? :'-( And that last chord at 5:14 was fading down so nicely. It doesn't hurt the song overall here, but it did kill off the potential strength of the ending. There's also a little noise at 5:19 that should probably be shaved off.

The performance does feel a little rough, but it doesn't substantially undermine the strong arrangement ideas and overall solid execution. Yeah, we DO need more pieces like this. Where are the live piano guys to KEEP IT REAL???

YES

Some solo-piano remixers fall into ruts in which their remixes are all fairly straightforward, and all sound the same. Jon has always been a leader of the pack so to speak, in part because of his ability to stay fresh and creative while sticking to solo piano. His adaptation of Big Blue is no exception, offering an original, crisply recorded and well performed interpretation.

YES

Hey, prepared piano stuff!!! Cool.

I like the arrangement of this one. It's got a lot of interesting left hand stuff, some nice embellishments to keep the melody from being too plodding. Very nice dynamics and expression. Transitions like 2:37 are well done, and I particularly liked the improv around 3:03. The performance has some minor errors at worst but they're not even really noticeable - it's quite good. That aspect is totally fine with me. The recording quality is more than adequate. This is an excellent ReMix overall, and a good example of what a solo piano mix should be.

YES

To think Jon almost didn't submit this! I told him he should, once he fixed the clipping issues and as that is done with...

Jon is consistently probably one of my favorite pianists in the scene. His style is so organic. My only beef here is the performance flubs, but they add a sort of realistic charm to the piece. I wish that aspect was a little more clinical though. But overall, I enjoyed this one a lot.

Superb arrangement, nice production, and inspite of some flubs, extremely capable performance. Ending was a little abrupt though. Also this just might be my overall favorite fzero arrangement to date. YES