*NO* Wrath of the Demon 'Wrath of the Demon (Requiem Mix)'

Chimpazilla

Hi OCremix team,

This is my remix of subtune 11- Wrath Of The Demon (Requiem Remix) for the c64. It was originally composed by David Whittaker, Steve Douglas and published by Readysoft in 1991. My remix been inspired by Vangelis notably his El Greco album.

Hope you like it enough for it to be released on OCremix.

Later,

Martin Dodd

Edited by Emunator

• 3 weeks later...

I like this a lot, there is plenty of source and nice interpretation and the guitar playing is lovely. The pad and other elements do add a Vangelis flavor. The playing is quite dynamic. Am I imagining that I hear some distortion on the louder notes? I'm going to vote yes but I'll be interested to see if I'm the only one hearing this.

edit 2/14/15: I still like this. I hear what the other judges are saying about the arrangement not evolving, but I think it works for what it is, what it's intention is. If the guitar is sequenced, you did a super good job, with added guitar squeaks. If it was played, I suspect it was played through a plugin or device that allows for layering of the guitar with other sounds, in this case the ethereal pad. Either way, I still love this. But I'm going to kick it back to have you address those too-loud, distorted notes. Tame that, and you have my yes.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

Quick notes: pretty nice sounding, but there's times when the dynamics are TOO strong on the loud notes. The sample quality is better than I normally hear on acoustic guitar but the lack of expression on anything other than velocity and the occasional pitch bend is off-putting, it's hard for me to feel engrossed in this. What is here is nice, but something feels incomplete about the mix - there's enough secondary elements so that it doesn't feel like a solo guitar arrangement, but not enough to really feel like a full composition. Can't tell if it's an arrangement/writing issue or if the mix is lacking in low frequencies? Gotta listen to this more.

EDIT 2/10/2015: After giving this a break and listening again, I think I'm going to stick with my gut reaction on this. Each of the issues above would not necessarily be a dealbreaker alone, but this just doesn't feel like a complete concept. The sequencing on the guitar is better than most attempts I've heard at sequenced guitar, but still not convincing enough to work for me. The way the background elements flutter around the guitar without really grounding the track makes this feel slightly directionless. On repeat listens, the strings also sound unhumanized and unrealistic to me, as well.

It's really hard for me to pin down what I would recommend to make this work. I feel like there might be some limitations on how far you can take this without enlisting the help of an actual guitar player, but aside from that there's some structural/flow issues that I feel need to be addressed too. It's tough to do this because I actually really like your concept and inspiration behind the mix, and the way you derived this from the source tune was very cool. But the execution just isn't totally clicking for me.

I'm interested to see how this vote pans out. Good luck either way!

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Emunator

• 2 weeks later...

My main issue with this piece is that a lot of times it's really only the melody line going. The backing parts are often just following the melody-line, so the lack of harmony is kinda a put-off for me. The first time you hear some counter-melody is around 3:03, at which the piece is almost finished. I love the intimate setting that's going on here, but if you're going to have a choir background and some strings, I'd love to hear them expend out into some harmony and really add life to the piece.

Similarly, the choir's attack is a bit slower than the guitar, and though it's pretty close, I'd like to hear it get tightened up a bit more so they are landing closer together. Because there are so few parts going it makes the slight off-time more noticeable.

I think this has a lot of promise, but I think there needs to be more going on for this to get past the bar for me. I would love to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)