- supercoolmike

- Miguel Poblete

- User I.D - currently waiting for activation

Submission Information:

- Title of arrangement - "You've grown so much X"

- Original Composition Title - Dr.Light

- Game: Megaman X (capcom, 1993, SNES)

- Remixer: Supercoolmike

- composer(s): Makoto Tomozawa, Setsou Yamamoto, Toshihiko Horiyama, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara

Hello there. I have always been fascinated by the amount of content in overclocked remixed website has to offer. Just hearing other composers compositions were my inspirations and motivators to try to remix my own version of a song from a game. I especially love it when there's a competition or when a new album comes out to listen to, so I have always wanted to submit my own work... I won't lie though, I have always been intimidated to submit my own songs because I'm always comparing my own work from others, so I always felt like it could be better. In the long run I was only hurting myself with this mindset. So as of now I will submit my remixes whether I think its good or bad ( of course following the submission rules)... To be honest I'm more concerned/excited to get feedback on this remix (and future remixes) whether its praised or harsh criticism, I welcome it because its better than not having any criticism to grow on at all.

This remix is based on the song that plays when X has reached a capsule and a hologram of Dr.Light appears to speak to him. I wanted to portray a song about how influential Dr. Light was to X even though he wasn't around to answer any/all of his questions since Dr.Light places X in a capsule chamber to continue on with his legacy to maintain peace to the world... So I decided to make the remix orchestral because of how powerful emotions can be created into a person.

looking forward for future projects with u guys

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Emunator

There's only so much you can do with a source such as this, basically a seven note motif with simple chord progressions behind it. You've definitely added your own flair to your track, but still it sounds almost painfully repetitive. With a source such as this that you've selected, it might almost be a good idea to add in a bit of a second source or a short original section to break up the monotony.

You've got a decent orchestral soundscape going, although the harp sounds very mechanical with every pluck the same velocity. The drums are just a touch too loud, and the writing is very samey, same hits and rolls every measure, it needs some more variation.

This is an encouraging start but needs more melodic and writing variation, I hope you'll work more on it!

NO (resubmit)

the harp sounds very mechanical with every pluck the same velocity.
the writing is very samey, same hits and rolls every measure, it needs some more variation.

Pretty much this. I don't mean to sell short the instrument dropouts and changes you employ throughout, but this has basically one intensity level/one gear, so it tends to drag out, plus the sampled harp and female vox articulations need more realism/humanization.

That said, you managed to get a lot of juice out of this source tune, but it doesn't hold interest for nearly 4 minutes due to the dynamic curve being relatively flat for most of the track.

I could see additional variations of this working, e.g. dropping out the drums entirely & changing the tempo and instrumentation for a section. Something like that could spice things up and retain interest while still keeping this march-like orchestration as the core of the arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

Thanks for submitting and for keeping an open mind to feedback :-) That's the kind of attitude I like to see in a submission letter, and I hope you continue to send stuff our way!

Onto the mix... March-style orchestral arrangements are especially susceptible to feeling repetitive, in my opinion, and unfortunately this one really relies too heavily on a single beat/snare roll pattern and ultimately feels like it never truly takes off. There needs to be more ebb and flow in order to create a really compelling arrangement based on such a short source.

Your sample quality is passable, in my opinion, but the articulations are also a little stiff (especially noticeable on the harp, as the other judges have noted. The lead violin also sounds a bit unrealistic.) The main issue that needs to be addressed here is the arrangement, which feels stagnant. As Chimp/Larry have suggested, try experimenting with dropping out the drums or changing up your patterns for a section to see how that helps the flow of the track. Alternatively, you could even try integrating another source tune to spice things up, if you find the inspiration for that. Anything to help break things up would be very welcomed here!

Hopefully this feedback was helpful and you continue submitting to the site! Good luck :-)

NO (resubmit)