Remixer name: Redg
My website: https://soundcloud.com/redg-sound
UserID: 41181

Game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Name of arrangement: Slender
Name of individual songs arranged: Saria’s Song (

)

Remix link: 

In response to nature’s beguiling calls, hearts flock together. A cryptic tongue encoded within gestures & songs; effortlessly deciphered.

Breakdown:
0:00-0:32 - No source
0:32-0:53 – Main melody with some rhythmic liberties
0:53-1:17 - This is the B section from the source. Definitely reinterpreted a lot. The notes are the same, but the rhythm is very different.
1:17-1:38 – No source
1:38-2:00 – Main melody again
2:00-3:10 – B section again, this time much closer to the original.
3:10-Out – No source

Saria

Song of Healing

No source after 3:10? But I hear Song of Healing so clearly! I protest!

Ah, Brent's usual bizarre style. Sounds cool right away. You really know how to mangle timbres and set a mood.

When the theme begins at 0:32, I'm not sold on this. The sequencing is purposely loose but to me it sounds sloppy. Honestly my biggest problem with this concept is that Saria's song still maintains its happy feel and it really doesn't fit... and sadly that ruins the whole effect for me. I can't get my mind around this much disconnect.

In spite of the terrific timbre mangling, the soundscape feels too empty. Sometimes this works but here I really feel the emptiness instead of an artistic concept. At 2:00, the whole arrangement slows down to such a trickle. Yowza, such resonances in this section. I wish I liked this, but I don't. I'm sorry. This one just doesn't work for me at all, I wish I had something better to say.

NO

Hmmm... normally I appreciate your off-the-wall approaches to mixes but I have to be honest that this one isn't working for me. The first 2 minutes of the track suggest a lot of potential with the deep horns jusxtaposed with the distorted synths, but your beat/arrangement is actually pretty static and there's not a lot of development happening once it kicks in, sonically. I feel that those parts need more interesting syncopation, beat patterns, changeups to the brass... something to catch and continue to hold my interest. The last minute of the track is not really compelling enough or fleshed out enough to stand on its own to really stand as nearly half of your arrangement. Again, cool textures and ideas but they don't sound nearly as fully-realized as your normal submissions.

Not doing it for me dude :-(

NO

I think Wes really got this right. You have established a pretty unique soundscape here, and there's a lot you can do with it, but things remain overall static which becomes very repetitive. There's definitely a need for some more variation in the melody and the backing parts, especially for the second time around. I'm also going to agree that the second part of the track is a bit too empty to really keep interest. I'm guessing you're going for a kinda creepy minimal approach there, but I don't think it establishes the feel that you're going for and ends up being too empty as a result.

I think there's promise in the concept you have going for the creepy-happy mix of Saria's theme, but I think it needs more refinement and variation. 

NO (resubmit)