*NO* Shining Force 2 'Sanctuary'

djpretzel

So, not the best oboe sample in the world... but a nice blend of textures, and it definitely develops.

- djp

Supercoolmike
Miguel Poblete

no website atm

Shining Force 2 for the Sega Genisis
Water Goddess Mitula
Sanctuary
Original Composer by : Motoaki Takenouchi

I would Like to have a link left for my submission if it is rejected please.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying the backing track for this a lot, the piano, bells, and percussion all work pretty well together. The oboe being so exposed is causing the track to feel a lot weaker though; it's a bit strange for the original genesis synth to feel more expressive than the oboe sample. When the harp and drums come in, and the strings double the oboe, it is feeling better, but I think a darker and richer sound for the oboe would be better, or double it with an epiano or something that offers an easily blended tone. 

The arrangement is pretty good, though the second half feels pretty similar to the first. I think expanding things a bit further on the second repetition would make this stronger overall, and some additional subdivision with the percussion. 

This has a lot going for it, but it needs a bit of sample assistance and a touch more development in the second half.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a minimal mix this one. I will say straight off that the scratchy or vinyl sound playing for almost the first minute didn't fit in very well, and I could hear a clear loop point in it. I originally couldn't work out if this was for effect, a problem with the file or samples used, or a malfunction in my headphones. If this beginning portion is intended to sound dirty and older than the rest of the track, I would suggest going further and dabbling with a bit of distortion and/or EQ to make the "recording" sound older. Your production quality is otherwise not too bad.

Arrangement wise your mix starts off pretty slowly, with a solo instrument or two playing all the way through to 1:30 where they are finally accompanied by other elements. To me this felt like a bit too long to get going. Your sequencing of your instruments is also quite rigid/to the grid for a mix that is based off "real" instruments, and this seems to kill some of the immersion here. Most parts would really benefit from some humanisation to bring in that much added realism. I will also say this doesn't stray too far from the original, and I would really like to hear some more originality peppered through the mix.

For me the arrangement here is probably the thing in most need of work, along with the presentation of your instruments (in particular, the rigid sequencing).

NO

I agree with Jivey about the vinyl effect in the intro, the repeated loop point in particular is distracting.  Once the oboe begins I'm not as bothered by the tone as by the rigid sequencing.  The track, and especially the intro, is really sparse, so the rigid sequencing sticks out.  Later, the drums and then also the piano and harp are extremely rigid.  I like the ideas presented here, but the humanization has a long way to go before it's ready for primetime.  As for the arrangement, I have to agree with Andrew that the arrangement sounds repetitive, especially the two passages with the drums.  The lead writing varies between those two sections, but the very plain and repetitive drum pattern and the same piano and harp background make those two sections too similar for my liking.

The most important thing I would recommend working on with this track is getting your instruments to sound humanized.  Make sure the piano and harp notes aren't all the same volume and practice moving them slightly off grid (without making it sound sloppy).  Make sure woodwinds have appropriate breathing breaks between phrases.  Make sure the drums don't sound robotic, add variations and fills.  It's a lot of work to do it right but it really pays off if you learn how to do it.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/02/09 - (3N) Shining Force 2 'Sanctuary'