OC Remix petition

Contact Information:

Artist name: The Gatherer
email: 
user ID: The Gatherer

Submission Information:

Game arranged: Final Fantasy X
Name of arrangement: Ronso's Rite of Passage
Name of Individual Song Arranged: Servants of the Mountain/People of the Far North
Original Composer: Masashi Hamauzu

The idea for the song was that I wanted to change the original mood for the song. The song has a soft tragic feel to it, and I wanted to make the song to feel engaging. Since nobody has made it yet, I decided to give it a try. Final Fantasy X is my favorite rpg so I really hope that I made justice to the original song.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Open's up pretty cool, though the tone of the beats at :24 sounded thin. At :47, I liked the phasing effects on the lead and thought the other instrumentation was interesting. The weaker link was at 1:11 when the beats behind the melody -- which were meant to drive the piece forward -- sounded very flimsy. Texturally, there's a lot of ambient padding in the mix that's creating mud until 1:34, but the writing was good.

The dropoff at 1:58 really exposed the lack of body of the breakbeats, and then continued like that with underwhelming energy all the way until 2:34. The lead pattern brought in at 2:34 dragged on for quite a while; I guess the ear's supposed to be drawn to the beats and textures evolving underneath until 3:21, but it doesn't supersede the fact that the lead drones on.

The transition at 3:21 was abrupt, though I liked the brief writing there. Back to the same melodic treatment and thin percussion from 1:11 essentially repeated at 3:25, which felt like an uninspired retread, then copying the chorus from 1:35 at 3:48 heading for the finish.

This needs richer beats and clearer mixing, but I imagine the musician Js will have much better and more specific commentary they can offer. The treatment of the source tune has potential, Braulio, but more melodic interpretation and/or instrumental variation from 3:25-4:12 would majorly help this, as well as trimming the fat of 2:34-3:21.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The mix needs some cleanup.  The bottom end is eating everything up while being very muddy.  The beat is very dry and thin.  The bass is lacking character and presence, it's being obscured by the low pads and its subs.  I'm not a fan of the sound selection for the main lead, as the tone doesn't fit very well in the mix.  The compression is acting in a strange way, as can be heard near the 4 minute mark how it's making the arpeggio vary in amplitude in a way that's not in sync with the dynamics of the song's rhythm.

The arrangement itself is not too bad, but gets repetitive in some sections such as 3:25 where it goes on for too long on the same pattern, this would be a perfect moment to introduce some personalized content.  More interpretation is welcomed.

Overall, there are glaring production issues that need to be addressed before considering the arrangement for posting.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/01/17 - (2N) Final Fantasy 10 'Ronso's Rite of Passage'

Liked how this one started up. Intro beats were indeed thin, though I initially took this as for effect. That said the drums did not change in tone throughout the course of the mix, and IMO while still audible they need a bit more low end presence as they're too poppy and don't carry much weight for driving the mix forward. Your leads are passable though a little generic at times, but I did appreciate that you changed to different instruments for different sections to maintain freshness. Low end does get cloudy (especially in the busier parts) and could use some taming as NutS mentioned.

The arrangement was a mixed bag for me - I enjoyed your breaks and changes in pace, but some of these were let down by some fairly repetitive sections which went on for too long, some of which featuring the same bar(s) of melody over and over. Changing up things a bit in the longer sections would go a long way to sorting this. 

This is a good start, and will be a lot closer with some tweaks to your mixing and arrangement. 

NO