*NO* Mega Man 2 'Thoughts on Bubbles'

Chimpazilla

• 4 weeks later...

The arrangement sounds very interesting. You do things with the source that I never thought to do with something like this, and it's really neat. I think you get full marks for creatively reinterpreting the source while having it remain recognizeable. There doesn't seem to be too much focus in the track, though - it just adopts one idea, finishes the idea, then moves on to the next idea. There's really little that binds the piece together as one coherent track, outside that it references the same source.

The instrument quality is a little too basic for OCR, though. As per the site standards,

• Synthesized and sampled elements must be reasonably sophisticated.

I'm afraid these don't qualify as reasonably sophisticated synths.While I'm personally a very large advocate for chiptune music, for me to personally consider them the music would need to be written in a style unique to chiptunes (such as music from Shnabubula, Zef, Danimal Cannon or Rushjet1), and this doesn't meet that requirement. These ideas could be better represented if you decided to utilize either more sophisticated synths, samples or real instruments.

I like a lot of the ideas that you present in here, but I can't pass this due to the lack of focus and use of basic instruments when there are better instruments to represent your ideas out there are available. I do recommend taking the ideas of this track, though, and creating a coherent, polished track, though, as it does some very unique things with the source that I really enjoyed.

NO

23 hours ago, Gario said:

The arrangement sounds very interesting. You do things with the source that I never thought to do with something like this, and it's really neat. I think you get full marks for creatively reinterpreting the source while having it remain recognizeable. There doesn't seem to be too much focus in the track, though - it just adopts one idea, finishes the idea, then moves on to the next idea. There's really little that binds the piece together as one coherent track, outside that it references the same source.

The instrument quality is a little too basic for OCR, though. As per the site standards,

I'm afraid these don't qualify as reasonably sophisticated synths.While I'm personally a very large advocate for chiptune music, for me to even consider them the music would need to be written in a style unique to chiptunes (such as music from Shnabubula, Zef or Rushjet1), and this doesn't meet that requirement. These ideas could be better represented if you decided to utilize either more sophisticated synths, samples or real instruments.

I like a lot of the ideas that you present in here, but I can't pass this due to the lack of focus and use of basic instruments when there are better instruments to represent your ideas out there are available. I do recommend taking the ideas of this track, though, and creating a coherent, polished track, though, as it does some very unique things with the source that I really enjoyed.

NO

^ Quote vote ^

Very clear cut and evident issues.  I do think that you had some interesting writing here, around the first minute mark and after the breakdown at 01:20, interesting ideas, and I think you have a lot of talent when it comes to arrangement and it shows in how you took this song to places that are completely unfamiliar to me (but really good).  Tons of detailing in the harmonies too.  I think this closer to chiptune territory and as a chiptune song is fine but as per site standards is not exactly what we are looking for.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/01/20 - (2N) Mega Man 2 'Thoughts on Bubbles'
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much to add to what the two gentlemen have said here.  The arrangement is really creative and shows some real skill, but the soundset kills this dead for OCR.  I never heard of Milkytracker (had to Google that just now), but may I suggest you get a proper daw, because I'd like to hear more from you, just much better produced than this.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/01/20 - (3N) Mega Man 2 'Thoughts on Bubbles'