*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Hyrule Sunshine'

Chimpazilla

• Your ReMixer name      Aron Kramer (Sorry! I hope that's O.K.)
  • Your real name                Aron Kramer
  • Your email address            
  • Your website                              aronkrameraudio.com
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile        31172

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged                 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    • Name of arrangement                                      Hyrule Sunshine (If that's not O.K. call it Sunshine of Time ! )
    • Name of individual song(s) arranged                  Title Theme

So.. here in The Netherlands the winter has been raging on for way too long (that sounds way too dramatic since it doesn't get that cold) but we got some really nice days last weekend with the first rays of the sun. I guess I got really inspired by the great feeling of having that first barbecue with a few beers with my fellow friends. I tried to fuse different things into this track, and I think it really shows. The title theme of Ocarina always felt like a tune that could be improvised on rather well. I went with a mix of warm electronics at the beginning, which launches off into a jazzy break with saxophone and mute trumpets. 

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did making it and hail the great Koji! Also, just to make clear, the vinyl distortions at the beginning are intentional. 

Cheers and thanks guys,

Aron Kramer 

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I don't think the intro scratches add anything useful, they just sound like a rendering error to me.  I like how the track starts to develop at 0:33 when the kick drops, but there isn't any melody to speak of until 1:10 and by then the entire feel has changed.  Starting at 1:17 there is a jazz drum loop that never changes for the rest of the track.  The track never picks up speed after this.  I think it would be so cool to bring the kick beats back in, yet continue with the jazz style.  Just when I think the track should really pick up speed, it is over.  Nice ideas here, but it doesn't feel like a full arrangement yet.

NO 

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/04/05 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Hyrule Sunshine'

Very nice muted trumpet - not nearly enough of that in people's remixes. It has such a nice, calming quality to it, and you really use it as it should be used in this. The performances in general are pretty good, and the arrangement does a nice job playing around with the source once it picks up. The brush drums are slick when they come in at 1:17, though the pattern used seems to repeat for the rest of the song.

That being said, the arrangement seems to be lacking direction a little bit. From the change in drum style in the middle of the track (that four to the floor comes and goes at 0:30 - 1:00, never to be heard again), to the repetitious use of the piano backing chords (nice change of chords from 1:20 - 1:47, though, that was neat), it feels like a jam session where the performers didn't quite land on an idea to develop yet. It's a good jam session, but it doesn't feel like a complete piece of music, yet. The track overall is also pretty quiet, too, so be sure to raise those levels, if you can.

The performances are good, and the ideas in the track are things that you could develop fully in a longer track, but what is here sounds incomplete. I like it, though, and I hope you expand this song and explore what you can do with the ideas that you present here.

NO

I understand where Kris is coming from with regards to the scratches in your intro - adding a vinyl sound is pretty hit and miss and is an acquired taste. If you want your song to sound old it's best to go all in and use this effect in conjunction with some EQ tricks to go authentic. Otherwise your selection of sounds were mostly good and suitable for your style of mix. Mixing was also pretty decent.

Arrangement was ok but I felt the entire track was too samey with a lot of repeated elements and licks. The piano part was quite repetitive, and the reverse cymbals felt overused.The trumpet was nice but could've done with some more movement. I felt by the end of the track, the song had not really built up to anything and just ended. It also felt too long for its duration, which is not good for a track of 2.5 mins. 

You have some good ideas here but you need to take them further. Would love to hear some additional or new sections that change the feel up a bit and top the track from feeling so static.

NO