*NO* Undertale 'Genocide'

Gario

Hi,

I'd like to submit my remix for OCRemix. Please let me know if there's any additional information needed.

• Your ReMixer name - MBlacki
  • Your real name - Maxwell Palacki
  • Your email address - 
  • Name of game(s) arranged - Undertale
  • Name of arrangement - Genocide
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Megalovania

There's some great guitar work here, but this is really more conservative than than what we look for.  Other than the introduction and a few minor elements, this is nearly identical to the source, just with the instruments changed.  There are a couple of neat additions, like the arp at 0:58-1:14, but otherwise it's basically just a cover.

There are some substantial balance issues that need to be dealt with, as well.  The drums are far too prominent, with the snare and hats drowning out nearly everything else, and the lead and bass guitars are much too quiet.  Take a look at the levels and EQ, and see if you can bring the melody into the forefront while still letting everything else be audible.

Please try hitting up our workshop forums for some additional advice.  Hope to see you there!

NO

Haha, I remember this from the WIP boards; it does seem that you took the limiting advice to heart, because this does sound pretty beefy now compared to when you started. The guitar work is tight, and the drums really have a lot of power behind them; this is a really fun cover.

Improvements aside, I do wish you requested a mod evaluation then as well, because I would've been able to tell you the arrangement was too conservative for OCR as it stands. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's not something that we can post due to how close it is to the source. MindWanderer is also correct in that the drums are balanced too close to the front, which costs you the presence of your guitar and bass. It's a small balancing fix, but still something you can pay attention to in your next arrangement.

I was never sure what the silence in the beginning was about, save for the drums setting the beat, there really isn't anything from 0:00 - 0:18 that justifies its existence. Starting from 0:18 and going from there would be a much cleaner approach, and it would catch the listener's attention right away.

I really liked this in the WIP boards, but it's not something we can accept due to how conservative it is. Thanks for sending it our way, though!

NO

This arrangement is conservative indeed.  I like the metal interpretation of this source, but this arrangement is also relentless.  There is no break in the action at all.  Adding a unique breakdown would take this out of cover territory enough for me, personally, and something slower and/or drumless would really give the feeling of more arrangement dynamics.  But then there is the mixing.  It doesn't sound like much mixing has been done, everything is competing for frequency, and most of the instruments are smack in the middle of the soundscape with the exception of just the hats and crashes.  I just slapped a simple stereo widener on the whole track and I get instant improvement.  (I don't suggest doing that on the entire track, not on bass or drums anyway, this was just a test.)  I agree that the first 18 seconds do not need to exist, and there is a rendering error at the very beginning (at 0:00).  All that said, I like the approach, and a few changes would push this over the bar for me.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/08/22 - (3N) Undertale 'Genocide'
  • Gario locked this topic