Double Dragon II - Shadow Boss Theme - Guitar

ngc2440nucleus

Hey there! Pretty neat cover. One of the better boss themes in my mind. Playing is good, the arrangement is super faithful, maybe a bit too much! Still, things overall sound good.

I'm not a huge guitar guy, so take my advices with a grain of salt! Samples aside, the drums sound good. Sometimes the rapid fire kicks that hit at like 1:02 get a bit muddy - maybe a sample issue or some reverb going on? hard to say. I also feel like the bass is very slightly too prominent and the lead could be brought out a bit more - especially on the high end. It sounds ... just very slightly muted with the way the EQ/Mastering is working. Try bringing out the high end a bit!

Lastly, this needs a proper ending and a sweet solo section, but other than that? not bad at all! A good listen for sure.

Regarding the ending, it was supposed to just be a fade-out, but when I went back and made some changes, I forgot to re-enable the automation like an idiot! (Didn't notice until last night. Always proof-listen, kids!).

I'll take your advice into consideration, though. It's just that I noticed on some laptop speakers that the higher harmonics of the guitar were really, really cutting through. I did some slight subtractive equalization on said harmonics, but I couldn't really drop them more than 2-3db without taking away some of the "air". I'll listen to it on a few more sets of speakers.

The reverb on the kick is probably getting squashed into the kick drum, making them almost one instrument. I suppose I could either drop some wetness, or EQ-carve the reverb. I need to start using the Convolver for my reverbs since it comes with its own built-in EQ. Or maybe it's just that, at that particular part, both the toms are being hit at the same time, along with an alternating kick. I guess that's a lot of low-end!

And, yeah, I always try to keep the tracks almost exactly the same, give or take a few drum embellishments. I like these old tracks so much that I don't have the heart to make any changes to them. The composers are geniuses, and I'm just a nerd. :-)

I'll sleep on this for a few more days, finish another track, then give a listen to the things you pointed out.