iRis AG: RoguePirateNinja's new game for iPhone/iTouch...that I scored (updated!)

prophetik music

hey, everyone. i'm really excited to announce that the iPhone game developer i've been working with for the last ten months, Rogue Pirate Ninja Interactive (RPNi), has officially released our first game for the iPhone and iTouch, iRis AG.

iRis AG/iRis AG Lite

$1.99/Free (!)

the basic premise behind iRis is that it's an inversion of Tetris's gameplay. instead of moving and manipulating the blocks to fit into the base, you spin the base itself - a circular centroid that each block attaches to - and allow the free-falling blocks to latch onto it. it's a premise similar to tetrisphere, the n64 game that i tried to get a project going for (before getting bored and stopping).

screenshot_1.jpgscreenshot_2.jpgscreenshot_7.jpg

here are a few screens for our game. in terms of the technical side of things, iRis AG uses a custom-built engine, geWiz ES, created by OCR's own Johannes_Von_Luck. with over 80 thousand lines of code, the engine is a technical feat of engineering in and of itself, considering that johannes basically did everything himself in a relatively short amount of time. the game features a colorblind mode, settings to take advantage of the extra power of the 3GS, and a widescreen mode.

now, why am i pimping this game? easy. i wrote the entire soundtrack for the game, and did all the sound effects as well. as my first shipped product, i'm very happy with what came out of it. the biggest limitation, besides the crappy speaker on the iPhone, is the fact that i could only use one key for the whole OST. because of the nature of the game, tracks had to flow into one another with very little outro or intro, so the entire soundtrack is in D minor, with some slight variations on the dominant and subdominant. another reason for this was that the sound effects, all of which are pitched and not just noises, are used for the whole game - meaning that every song had to be able to use D minor-themed sfx.

update: the game is being sold in the App Store for $1.99. the free version, iRis AG Lite, is available for free.

the OST is freely available from the website, at this link, as well as some wallpapers made by our artist. i'd also encourage you to look at the website itself, as johannes and our web dev Jaelle has done a lot of work on it.

here's a video of the gameplay.

links:

Rogue Pirate Ninja Interactive Official Website - info about the devs, game, and other random topics. there's also a support and conversation forum.

RPNi's Twitter account - johannes is very active on this.

RPNi's YouTube account. we'll post gameplay videos and teasers for our next project here.

RPNi's Myspace account. 'Nuff said.

A long while back I, with no posting history, posted a request for a musician for an eager young start up... We had no code written, no artwork done, and no music... I came in with my head bowed, and my heart open.

When you do this, a lot of people immediately say, 95% of these things never go anywhere. And, well, they're right. But, we did go somewhere. Brad took a chance and, we made it to the end.

Thank you OCRemix. Thank you for being here. Thank you all for what you do. Thank you for taking the time out to trust a rogue forum posting. I contacted DJP and proudly have the OCRemix logo in our credits:

screenshot_10.jpg

=)

• 3 weeks later...