Noob looking to upgrade: Logic questions and keyboard controllers

Hello. I am a newbie using garageband who is thinking about getting more serious. Considering I'm on a power PC macintosh, pretty much my only option is Logic. However, there are two different versions, and I cannot decide which one I should get.

Considering that I am looking only to compose midi style and I have little interest in recording real instruments, which one should I get? Logic Studio definitely has a lot of cool stuff that Express is missing, but at the same time it also has things that are useless to me, including the other 2 applications bundled with it. So, are the extra features in Studio worth the extra 300 bucks that I could use to buy a keyboard controller, or are the extra 300 bucks you spend on Studio really worth it?

Speaking of which: keyboard controllers. I'm looking for something cheap, especially if I'm getting Logic Studio, that has a fairly large range of keys (like, 3 octaves or more). Honestly, I just want something that can easily get notes into my computer, so fancy sliders and knobs are optional.

Also, if there are any other DAWs for Power PC macs that you would recommend other then Logic, feel free to mention them.

I think that Logic Studio is worth it. You get tons more sounds/samples/loops and an awesome reverb unit (Sound Designer) amongst other things. Mainstage is fun to mess with if you play keyboards - layering sounds etc - but I never really use the other thing that I can't even remember the name of. I'm sure its useful if you do video stuff.

I agree, go for Studio. I got Express, and wish I had spent the few hundred more on Studio. The samples and synths and virtual instruments and effects you get with Studio are definitely worth it, even if you don't use half of them ever, and you don't understand just about anything of those additional effects and stuff at first.

I mean, you get the Jam Packs (and more) in Studio's sample library, with Express you'd have to spend the difference just to get those.

Honestly, you could probably get by at OCR with naught but a MIDI controller and a few good libraries, but think of the future. There'll probably come a time when you will want to record live instruments, so keep that in mind before you make your decision! As for MIDI Controllers, my M-Audio Keystation pro has 88 keys and is USB-powered, so it's pretty great. It's probably in the $300 range for it.