Electric Aztec - Angry Aztec from Donkey Kong 64

ncocs

Is there a specific reason why everything seems to be panned hard left or hard right? It's very disorienting and unnatural sounding. Things like the bass generally should be in the centre with the kick drum and lead instruments. A simple way to organise where to place instruments in the stereo field to to imagine where they would be on a stage in front of you. At the moment your track is like putting an audience in between two stages, which obviously isn't done.

I don't know the source at all, I had a quick listen to it, but seeing as i'm so unfamiliar with it I won't be able to comment on your arrangement.

Anyway, so ignoring the drums as you have already mentioned them I'd say all of your sounds need upgrading, they just all sound very standard, midi-like and not very interesting. I like the variety of instruments you're using as it at least keep the piece lively, but the sounds need to be more unique to your own mix. Also I'm not hearing many effects, if any, on any of the sounds, which just adds to the problem of the basic instrument sounds. can I ask what software and instruments you are using?

Sorry if this is all a bit negative, but i'm sure you'll soon hear improvements in your pieces if you keep following everyone's advice on here, and keep listening to all the tracks that have passed the judges panel and try to compare them to your own pieces, seeing as they're the benchmark we all need to reach.

Oh, Angry Aztec! I was thinking of trying this one myself.

It keeps to the tune pretty straight, although I like the extra supporting parts you added, and the variety of instruments makes for a fun listening experience that kept me interested throughout. However, like it's already been said, it does sound very much like a MIDI. Work on some different instruments and I think you've got something really cool here!

• 1 month later...

Um, ok, not to be an accuser (actually I AM), but i don't believe this remix is original. 1: I've heard this before on a video game MIDI music site, which explains the midi sound. If I may just put out the original song for you, you will notice. Nice try, Mr. Nice.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/dk64_aztec_elec.mid

Look on here and scroll down to DK64, 2nd song: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/index-af.html

The info link next to it also says its from waaaaaaaaaaay back in 2002.

Just making sure nobody's own creation gets STOLEN. :D

Glad you're looking out for stuff Nickno, but this has a distinctly different sound, so it's not plagiarism, it's mixing practice.

Good sound choices, ncocs, you're learning. :D

Ah wa? but, it couldn't be passed as an 'official' remix could it? I mean, that's like taking credit for something you didn't start, and the fact that he gives no credit to the original remixer? babadeeboda.

No, it wouldn't be posted, and not just for the midi rip but for the production as well. Still, on ocr, using midis and applying your own instruments and effects is an encouraged mixing practice... practice. While those exercises won't get posted on ocr, they're a great way to learn how to put together a cohesive sound and mix it all, and the notes can provide some ideas for how to write your own arrangement, show you how stuff can be done.

So chill, it's not plagiarism, it's practice. :)

Ok but how was anyone supposed to know that he took a midi from vgmusic with the sole intent to use it as mixing practice? He didn't mention it, in fact he even says "This might just be the one that makes it..." in the first post.

Something tells me he was trying to sell this as being his own work. The majority of us can't read minds, so I would think he would have the sense to at least tell us that he's not trying to get posted and is only messing around :grin:

Meh, this REALLY isn't a big deal, guys. Let's simply move on and not worry about it too much. If it got accepted on OCR and was waiting to be posted then I'd start to question the ethics behind it, but until then no harm, no foul.

Know that this isn't going to pass the panels though, ncocs, because of it's static quality (which comes from the original midi, by the way), so you can pretty much forget about submitting this unless you plan on heavily reworking the source file (in which case it'll pretty much be your own, so people will stop buggin' you about who's midi it originally was, anyway).

It is a nice way to practice applying instruments and working with soundscapes, though, and I think you did a pretty good job, there.

No, it wouldn't be posted, and not just for the midi rip but for the production as well. Still, on ocr, using midis and applying your own instruments and effects is an encouraged mixing practice... practice. While those exercises won't get posted on ocr, they're a great way to learn how to put together a cohesive sound and mix it all, and the notes can provide some ideas for how to write your own arrangement, show you how stuff can be done.

So chill, it's not plagiarism, it's practice. :)

Just to clear it up for Nickno, it WOULD be plagiarism if he passed it off as his own work, but if he's just practicing production skills it's fine.

Ok, to clear things up. This ended up being a mixing practice. When I said, "this might be the one that makes it," I didn't mean it like pure midi rip (which is the way it is at this point), I meant after it was done. I was using this midi for reference (only for the melody, at least that was my intent). I kind of ended this mix before I did any edits (changing up backing parts, intro, etc.), and so it sounds exactly like a midi from vgmusic.

Is that a good explanation? I sure hope so.