*NO* Pokémon Diamond Version 'Reflection'

OceansAndrew

Remixer Name: TheGuitahHeroe

Email: theguitahheroe@gmail.com (preferred) [or] theguitahheroe@hotmail.com

ID: 31907

Game: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Song: "Outside the Pokemon League" (I'm not positive of the actual name of it)

My thought process for remixing this song involved listening to the original, and thinking to myself, "This needs more than just piano."

So yeah, I put my twist on it. Sort-of chiptune mixed with sort-of chillout mixed with sort-of. . . downtempo (?) mixed with ambient piano. Is that an acceptable genre? (I admit I'm horrible at figuring genres X) )

But anyway, I had many inspirations for this remix, namely tracks by AE, Willrock, halc, Rozovian, zircon, and PokeRemixStudio (who I'm attempting to force to submit some of his stuff to here :o). I'd go into further detail about my inspirations and influences but I'd be here all day. Seriously.

So all I can say is thank you to everybody who has influenced me, in whichever way. :) I would also like to sincerely thank everybody on the WIP forum who helped me to better this track, especially Dr. Rozo :D

Alright, here it is, hope you guys enjoy : ))))

Source:

Lots of good things going on here. The adaption of the source into the downtempo relaxed feel is pretty nice, and I think for the most part you've treated it well. I'm not crazy about your transitions between the sections, especially the 1:55(ish) transition. Aside from that I was feeling the arrangement, although the fade-out ending was a bit cliché.

Production is a bit of a mixed bag for me. The bell synth comes in pretty piercingly, and really needs to be toned down. Overall I think the bass could have a tad more presence, and it doesn't feel like you've got much in the mids to bring together your two extremes. Piano itself is alright, although I don't think it would stand by itself in a solo mix.

I'm liking this, but I think it needs those revisions before it's ready.

NO (please resubmit)

Intro itself was pretty nice, though that bell synth wasn't doing it for me, really.

Once the song itself got started, I liked the soundscape, but the track seemed to lack a little bit of direction. I think trimming a few spots down a little would help the overall flow of the track

The dips and dives with the lead synth were really nice, and the atomosphere was decent, but I think some more action in the mids would help this feel a bit more exciting. Nothing wrong with being a chill ambient track, but if that is what you are doing, you need to have a lot of melodic interest, to make up for the lack of energy. There are some nice tone colors going on, but i think some subtle gated panning would be a good choice, and bringing the bass up maybe 2db overall would help it feel a little more anchored.

Overall a super close call for me, but I think one more layer of polish will really help this out.

No, please resubmit

Totally agree with Deia on that 1:55 transition. It felt like you were trying to force it back to solo piano.

I like the idea of bringing a downtempo adaptation here. It's a very pretty mix, but feels like there are some sonic holes in the mids for sure - as if some elements are left out. In addition to what was mentioned before, you could try to layer in some pads or something to fill things out.

In addition to bringing the bass up a bit, I think there's room for some more complex/interesting writing on it. It does have a few slides thrown in, but in general it's just hitting the root note for each chord. Varying it up will bring more interest there.

Judging by the youtube comments, this is a pretty emotional song for a lot of folks, who I'm sure would like to hear your take on it. So bring it back, ya hear?

No, resubmit please