The Dragon's Tale - Breath of Fire I&II Album Project (Recruiting and first WIP 09/10/11)

BoFRyus.jpg

Hey guys and gals! I'm not sure if you have ever heard or played Breath of Fire. It's Capcom's most successful traditional rpg to date but doesn't mean it's extremely well known. For me, the Breath of Fire series was my break into the rpg genre and still is one of my favorites, due to nostalgia and also to how unique it is. What I am aiming to do is to bring to light the wonderful themes that are present throughout the series. There are some unpolished masterpieces in each installment waiting to be heard to it's fullest potential!

To start off I want to cover the first 2 games of the series. Before I was trying to take on every game and was struggling to find only a handful of tracks from each game because they all are really good. Thanks go to Xenon Odyssey and Dj Mokram for getting me a bit for focused. If this project gets a lot of attention and goes through to OCR then I can start to focus on Breath of Fire III-IV

Genre/style

I really want to see how people will interpret each theme and watch it transform so I don't want to make a general style. I'm greatly interested in hearing how this album could flesh out.

However I am firm on this telling a story! Instead of every track being meticulously picked planned to be in a certain order I decided that there will be a handful of important tracks that will be the cornerstones of to the story, which I'll indicate with italics. I would like those to be a particular style. I will make notes next to each of those tracks and also place them where they need to go. My vision is to see this story expand to the next 2 games of the series and I think it could be pretty awesome.

I am very open to discussion concerning the way the story unfolds. So post in here if you have any ideas on the story direction! (I may also have to maybe tweak breath of fire II's story once I finish the game.)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Hey guys! I took out the idea of having an overarching "theme" because it just seemed to be kind of a stretch and especially since I took it from the 4th game. though I think it was a good idea, it doesn't work in the context. I'm going to start talking to a lot of people try to get more interest in this, though, I am very pleased with the 1000+ views this has garnered so that's good news, right? Also I want to point of that OLRemix's monthly competition, OLRmegeddon, is using "Breath of Fire" as this months theme. You can read all the details here: OLRmegeddon L - July 2011 So it's a great way to just dick around and get familiar with your track! :D definitely take a look gais! OLRemix is a great site and needs more attention anyway because I love what it stands for! So do it for the lulz!

BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS

And also! I'm going to make Sep. 10th the first WIP date! It's time to have one and it is kind of far out to leave wiggle room for more people to join and not feel overwhelmed!

GET TO IT!

Tracks

I grabbed all my favorites from each game and threw them in a list! Just because they are my favorite doesn't mean they are your favorite so you can always talk to me about songs you'd like to have included and songs that end up gaining no interest will be considered for being removed. Here's what I have come up with and of cours...youtube links!

Breath of Fire I

-Blood Relation (This one needs to start of orchestral and kind of dark but then can go anywhere the remixer decides.)

+

~ShinnyMetal

-

(orchestral and gallant. I can't think of it any other way. maybe a bit of fusion)

-Battle 1

-Battle 2

-Inside a House

-Happy Town~Amphibious

-

-

(perhaps rock or orchestral...maybe rock/orchestral fusion.)

-

-

~Dj Mokram

-

-

-

-

-

(Just not electronic. could be a song..could be orchestral or rock. just needs to sound like the closing of a chapter)

Breath of Fire II

-

(orchestral! this is a great opening to this chapter, where religion is a huge focus in the game! perhaps you could incorporate
)

-Our Journey (orchestral...a lot of these are orchestral...)

-Dying Corpse

+More Than Words ~Tuberz McGee

+I’ll Do It! ~Gario

-Twisted Bridge

-You Must Live (orchestral, a song, piano solo, acoustic guitar solo, something somber.)

-The Flower

-

-

-

-

-

-

-Closing of the Dragon’s Eye at the End of the Story (just need to be epic and grandiose. Maybe this one could be a collab?)

Recruitment/Other Info

Alright! If you're interested in participating send me a PM with your track choice and a recent composition of yours and I'll let you know what I think!

Also I may need to get someone to help out with art and webpage stuffs. I can draw but coloring isn't my forte and I'm also not the best artist anyway so if you think you can help in either of those departments throw me a PM about that also!

Here's a temp. Sig. We'll get one of better quality in the future.

BoFprojectsig1.jpg

take out the *: [*url=http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34989][*img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/ShinnyMetal/BoFprojectsig1.jpg

Thank you so much for your time

-Brian Crawford

First, I wanna say that's a wonderful idea for a project, and a long overdue tribute for this underappreciated yet fantastic game serie imho.

Now here's my strong advice: focus on BoF I & II for now (cause you're leaving too much Alph Lyla/Takehara tracks out already).

If that one works out (interest rises, people join, album gets done, officially or not) then go on to make one for III & IV.

On the other hand, if you wanna do the real thing and be thorough, aim for an arrangement collection of the 2006 "Breath of Fire Original Soundtrack Special Box".

It represents the first ever complete soundtrack release for BoF I, II and III ...and also contains over three hundred tracks, I know. ;p

But whatever you decide on doing, do not throw a few Dragon Quarter tracks in there just to group this game with the other entries.

As any real BoF fan will tell you, the Fifth installment is a radical departure from the serie, both musically and game strucure/mechanics-wise.

Plus, it's kinda unethical to be directing projects about games you haven't even put in your console (which I assume since you've stated having only played BoF I and III).

Thanks and best of luck with your project Brian. :)

Oh, and btw:

It's Capcom's most successful rpg to date

Not even close. The BoF serie as a whole roughly sold around 3 million copies.

It definitely can't hold a candle to Monster Hunter when it comes to sales figures.

MH as a franchise represents more than 13 millions units sold worldwide and is Capcom's most successful RPG to date.

Cheers. ;)

I got your PM mr. metal; unfortunately I didn't get to it before you posted this.

My only suggestion echoes what Mokram said about the tracklist: focus on the first two, rather than try and cover too many games at once. It's possible there many not be as many gems in the first two than if you combined all the soundtracks, but at least that way you aren't limiting yourself to only seven tracks per game when there certainly has to be more tracks people would want to remix.

Also, it would benefit the any-style-you-want aspect if it was an entire soundtrack rather than a 'best of' collection. Usually with those there are restrictions like only orchestral or something similar, since the collection is looking to highlight certain tracks that stand out under those arrangement specifics. A whole soundtrack, imo, works better with any-style-you-want because it'll allow the remixers to show off how versatile the soundtrack can be, while letting them be creative in whichever genre they choose. Plus, if this album goes all the way to the homepage (assuming you want it to be OCR-official), there will probably be desire to finish the series (I mean, we already have FF7 and 4 with 9 almost done, and we did just finish the Sonic trilogy), which means having more of the soundtrack done rather than just the 35 tracks you have here (I know you said it could change, but 35 < however many tracks there are in the Breath of Fire series total).

BUT, that's just my 2¢; you may certainly think otherwise and that's perfectly ok. I'll look through the soundtrack later and see if I dig anything.

I'm going to be completely honest...I'd rather do what you guys are saying. Some people said they'd rather have a best of so that's what I did and personally...I could just do breath of fire one's OST and be content.

The one thing I'm going to be disappointed about is not having the Main Theme of BoF IV but if this continues I'll have a chance to do it xP.

I'm going to do some more hunting and revisions on this because that all makes sense.

Not even close. The BoF serie as a whole roughly sold around 3 million copies.

It definitely can't hold a candle to Monster Hunter when it comes to sales figures.

Cheers. ;)

I guess I should say in the jRPG genre. I honestly hardly think of Monster Hunter in the traditional RPG sense. I'll be clearer.

And I'm going to go play the games I haven't played. I've been wanting to so bad but just keep forgetting so limiting myself to 2 games will help me do that much easier (lol).

I know the art is something thats not important until way later, but I can possibly help with the album cover. Like possibly something like this

Bof_advance.jpg

but with my drwing style. ( which is this http://legendaryfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/ )

I'm going to be completely honest...I'd rather do what you guys are saying. Some people said they'd rather have a best of so that's what I did and personally...I could just do breath of fire one's OST and be content.

The one thing I'm going to be disappointed about is not having the Main Theme of BoF IV but if this continues I'll have a chance to do it xP.

I'm going to do some more hunting and revisions on this because that all makes sense.

I guess I should say in the jRPG genre. I honestly hardly think of Monster Hunter in the traditional RPG sense. I'll be clearer.

And I'm going to go play the games I haven't played. I've been wanting to so bad but just keep forgetting so limiting myself to 2 games will help me do that much easier (lol).

I know the art is something thats not important until way later, but I can possibly help with the album cover. Like possibly something like this

[breath of Fire on the GBA cover]

but with my drwing style. ( which is this http://legendaryfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/ )

That's something to mull over. I've been bouncing around a few idea's in my head. It really all depends on the direction of the album and reather or not it's going to be story-esque or not. I'll let ya know if I need any help with art though! If I needed something soon it would be a signature that didn't suck.....

I would absolutely love to be a part of this, but I've had no remixing experience whatsoever. What should I do? What program should I use? My Breath of Fire fanboyness is about to explode!

Well you play drums right? can you do good recordings of drums? Do you have the means to record them?

Well you play drums right? can you do good recordings of drums? Do you have the means to record them?

I do have a recording device and two microphones. I've recorded using those before and it sounded decent. I can send you a PM of an example of a drum track I made once and you can see if the quality is good enough.

I do have a recording device and two microphones. I've recorded using those before and it sounded decent. I can send you a PM of an example of a drum track I made once and you can see if the quality is good enough.

please do. If you'd be interested we could use you for drums if anyone needs them!

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

However I am firm on this telling a story! Instead of every track being meticulously picked planned to be in a certain order I decided that there will be a handful of important tracks that will be the cornerstones of to the story, which I'll indicate with italics. I would like those to be a particular style. I will make notes next to each of those tracks and also place them where they need to go. My vision is to see this story expand to the next 2 games of the series and I think it could be pretty awesome.

One thing I think would be really cool is to have a "theme" to the story that'll be reoccurring either just in the beginning of the two projects or if people want to incorporated it into the cornerstones that'd be cool too (or maybe in some of the others...who knows). After thinking and thinking I decided to use the theme from Breath of Fire IV Endings and Beginnings

I am very open to discussion concerning the way the story unfolds. So post in here if you have any ideas on the story direction! (I may also have to maybe tweak breath of fire II's story once I finish the game.)

Check first post to see track details!

I'm down for guitar and vocals if anyone wants to collab or anything.

I play rock and acoustic guitar... so there's no worries with that.

As for my track, sitting on the lyrics for a few weeks.

I need to make sure I don't put out something I'm not proud of.

Musically... it's arranged to pretty much the final arrangement.

Yeah, that's me chimin' in.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, because I've never really played Breath of Fire, can someone describe to me the gameplay?

i.e. turn-based rpg or something like that?

The point of this is to see if I can visualize the "feel" of the game and work that into a remix for this project.

I haven't played much of the BoF series (I'm lame like that), but I always love the feel of old Alph Lyla works, and the second game has a lovely soundtrack as well. I'm useless at mixing, but if anyone foresees the need of female vocals for their track, I'd love to throw my hat in.

Potentially... I may,

From the angle I'm taking I might just need some female vocals.

Who knows.

Personally, I'm playing through the game again to try and "capture" the feel of the track.

None of the "I think the scene was a sad one" bull crap.

I need the pure feel of the scene as if I had never seen it before.

For that fact alone... the track is taking a little while.

well you're all good! I'm procrastinating fixing the kinks in the project. Since I'm starting to see more and more interest I'm going to try and tackle this tomorrow and so everything is clear and set. Thanks guys for being patient and once I get everything down, if I see a good number of people I'm going to start assigning WIP dates so stay tuned for all of that!

thanks everyone!

hmm... You know what?

We should all find images of BoF characters and have "custom" signatures. They don't really have to be uber-personalized, just something to use for the project.

Shinny, do you happen to have a BoF logo that has a transparent background?

hmm... You know what?

We should all find images of BoF characters and have "custom" signatures. They don't really have to be uber-personalized, just something to use for the project.

Shinny, do you happen to have a BoF logo that has a transparent background?

This is the correct statement.

I'm all for a rad one with Rand or Katt on it. Kinda like the Wild Arms project.

But yeah. I have the arrangement and vocal tune sorted.

Just sitting on lyrics and making adjustments and such.

@Tuberz: Sweet, just let me know. I'm in the middle of drumming up funds for nicer recording equipment, but I should have it by the time anything gets seriously underway.

As for the game, I know it's not exactly the same, but are there any Let's Plays available for it? I did that for a couple points of Legend of Mana that I wanted to reference without playing all the way through the game again (even from my old midway save files), which they were very handy for. Just seeing the game in action + my recollections did the trick.

Unless you really just want to play it again. =P

Tuber, I have a Katt sig for you,

and a Ryu sig for Shinny.

They're basically renditions of characters found on google search and the Project image that's in Mr. Metal's sig.

Katt sig:

[ URL="http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=784626"][ IMG]http://db.tt/KQuVNHr[/IMG][/URL]

Ryu sig:

[ URL="http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=784626"][ IMG]http://db.tt/mIDVvCP[/IMG][/URL]

Both contain the link to this thread. Please remove the spaces in the [ url] and [ img] or they won't work

To be honest. That's not Katt.

Unless it's someone from Breath of Fire 1. I haven't played that one.

I want Katt from Breath of Fire 2 if that's cool.

That really is Katt...

I am worried that those sigs are a bit too big, I think they'll do unless darkesword yells at us.