*NO* Castlevania 'Enough Time to Dance'

OceansAndrew

Hello Judges, this is a Remix I produced for Chernabogue's Vampire Variations project. Obligatory information below :)

Your ReMixer name: Lidawg

Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Castlevania

Name of arrangement: Enough Time to Dance

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Out of Time

(link to the original, just in case)

Comments:

So...where to start...Well, I joined the VV project fairly late so there weren't many tracks free for claim. Castlevania was not a game I was familiar with before I started the project (please forgive me but I have played it since!). What stuck out about the source was the melody. There wasn't much material, but the motifs that are in the original have strong character and lend themselves to a fair amount of expansion. I had difficulty arranging this in way that expanded on the source, but didn't render it unrecogniseable. After many versions and feedback I have a version that I am pleased with. It may not pass the panel but, for me, the production and style on this are the best out of the tracks I've produced so far. I've learnt a lot from it, enjoyed it and hope you enjoy listening to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The lead guitar is a little too dry, and I wish the drums had a little more oomph to them, but this was a pretty unique dance-rock mix that I overall enjoyed. Some of the synths seemed a touch lifeless or generic, but there were enough that the variety made up for individual sounds, and the arrangement did enough fun things to keep me guessing.

The source use is a bit obscured in a lot of ways, mainly because there are so many new prominent melodic ideas added, and when the melody of the source is played, it's using a more subdued synth. Somehow the source is all there, but the treatment makes it harder for me to hear. With enough listens I found what I think is all of it, and it's over 50%.

Pretty fun, cool take on the source, and while hard to place the first few listens, I got it eventually. I do think the guitar's dryness is an important issue, as doubling up some synths with some more active ones would be good. It's really really close, and might even grab a few YES's, but I think what is best for the song are some tweaks. I'd love to hear this one again soon!

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this is a really close call, but in the end I feel like another run through the polishing cycle would do this a lot of good. The guitar is close but it could use a touch more reverb to sit nicely with the soundscape.

Your synth choices don't always fill out the song much, either - it would be really cool to get some ambiance in to fill in those gaps with something interesting. Either that, or bring up the volume/EQ on your leads to cmopensate

Lastly, your kick is good but I'd drop the sub frequencies a bit and bring up your bassline in the extra room there, and then EQ the mids/highs to give your kick a bit more punch.

Very very close dude, one more revision should do it here! :-D

NO (resub!)