*NO* Final Fight: Double Impact & Guilty Gear XX #Reload 'Venom in Her Veins'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: AngelCityOutlaw

Games Arranged: Final Fight Double Impact, Guilty Gear XX #Reload (Korean OST)

Songs Arranged: Stage 4-1, "Red Crossroads"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPd7XKXLs0

User ID: 45057

So yeah, the idea here is that I wanted to make my own arrangement of a final fight song inspired by the character Poison. I always thought she was one of Capcom's most badass looking characters. She's also one of their most controversial. So I picked up the guitar and looked to bands like Poison, RoxyBlue, Babylon A.D., Ratt, Motley Crue, XYZ, Hardline, Cats in boots, and Wildside (basically all the early 90s hair metal bands) for musical inspiration. I also added a pinch of guilty gear to the recipe of hairspray and guitars.

I should mention this is a collab, I wrote the original parts, arrangement, played guitars etc. and a friend of mine (who for some reason does not wish to be named) did all the mix stuff. Because I suck at mixing and all things related to music production. Actually, I just suck at music in general.

Alright, that was plenty.

Chris.

I have to admit, if I'd only listened to your mix, I would have never guessed it was two songs you used. The combination of the two works out really well, so nice pick on that. That being said, the arrangement feels a little lacking in personalization for a lot of it. The use of the main melody gets repetitive after a while, and I think there's more you could have done to add your own influence into it. I'd also think about using a different piano sample; to me it didn't fit into your soundscape very well. The song also just kinda stops, I'd think about something more solid for an ending.

Production aspects are also holding this back. The piano sequencing is overall mechanical and could stand to be humanized. The rhythm guitars also feel a tad muffled, as does the kick drum. I'd look into maybe finding some other patterns for the drums (nice fills though!) to keep things more interesting, and possibly for the rhythm guitars as well.

There is a good base here, but there's work to be done. I'd look into adding more arrangement and personalization to the track, and get your friend to work some more on the production end of things. Check out our WIP forums for some more advice.

NO

Some pretty cool stuff going on in here, I like the overall mixing of themes and the production (for the most part) and particularly your lead guitar performances, those are pretty sweet but not utilized nearly enough in my opinion. I think you rely a little too heavily on the piano riffs for the first half of the song, and it's not until later on that you change up and add in a synth lead and the lead guitars. Because of how often that piano repeats, the track has a pretty conservative sound to it that could easily be rectified by applying some of the same personalized touches you've got in the second half to the irst half of your track, as well. Those additional sounds are clicking a lot better than the piano, so I'd suggest working them in earlier in the song, fixing up your piano with a different sample and some more humanized timing, or preferably both :-)

The Final Fight source has a pretty unrelenting bassline and unfortunately, it carries over into the remix in a way that gets kind of tiresome after a while. I'd love to hear more changeups in your rhythm guitar patterns as well, but this is more just a personal suggestion. If you can tackle the issues mentioned in my first paragraph I'd be quite happy passing this. You've got some nice production and a really energetic style going, but it's not there yet for me either. Good luck dude!

NO (resubmit!)

hot damn, batman, that is a lot of reverb. all things considered, all the instruments are coming through pretty clearly, but all that reverb is still kinda overbearing on the mix. gotta agree with the concerns with the piano sequencing, but besides all that, the mixing on this wasn't too far off, imo. on the arrangement side of things, the drums and bassline did get repetitive for me as well, but the sources were well integrated. this could use a little more personalization and a few mixing tweaks, but this one is pretty close for me already.

NO(resub)