*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Overdose Acoustica'

Liontamer

Hello, it is Ryo Lion.

I received mail of Japanese use agreement from Mr. Jahan, and he has understood at last.

- Since file size was over 6MB, it lowered to 160k bps from 192k bps.

- matter

name: -- Ryo Lion

real-name: -- Takahashi RYO

mail: -- spfw64k9@biscuit.ocn.ne.jp

site: -- http://ryolion.net/

original: -- Chrono Trigger

original melody: -- Corridor of Time

Comment:-- I thought that I would arrange in when since it is the music of Mr. Mitsuda's

characteristic beautiful melody line. The arrangement which follows the last form aimed at fusion of an acoustic guitar and MIDI. Finally, it appreciates towards people of OCR.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Corridors of Time" (ct-304.spc) & "Chrono Trigger" (ct-102a.spc)

I liked the soundscape, but aside from the (awesome) percussion sequencing, I felt like the melodic structure and some of the supporting structure was too similar to the original. The original material from 1:39-2:14 was pretty good. Nice reference to the "Chrono Trigger" theme from 2:52-3:09 and 3:47-3:53. Back into the Zeal them at 3:10, basically more of the writing from the first section.

I'm just walking away with the feeling that the "Corridors of Time" feels too cut-and-paste from the source (booooooo!), but the original percussion, deeper production and original sections gave this a different character than the original. A bit more on the upgrade side than what I'd want personally, but I think this has its merits relative to the standards. Don't have a problem with this going either way.

YES (borderline)

EDIT (2/5): Thinking more about CHz's vote, it just feels like the sections close to the structure of the source simply seem too cut-and-paste derived from the original. There are some good interpretive sections, and also some good original sections. But after letting this marinate, I can't get behind this one; it tows a dangerous line in terms of lifting structural aspects wholesale from the source material.

NO (resubmit)

When the source material is used in this mix, it's almost verbatim from the source. There's a nice little melodic riff at 0:34 and 3:16, the vocals behind 2:16-2:40 are arranged, and the use of Chrono Trigger at 2:52-3:09, 3:47-3:54, and 4:13-4:19 are good, but every other connection is directly from Corridors of Time. The guitar and choral melodies, bassline, and chime accompaniment are direct covers.

However, altering the original material isn't the only acceptable arrangement method. The instrumentation's all been changed, giving the piece a whole new feel. Further, the only time the mix is a direct sound change from the original is the intro. Throughout the mix, there are new percussion and vocal bursts as accompaniment, in addition to original guitar work in a couple of places. 0:09-0:27 and 1:39-2:15 are mostly original material.

Even though so many lines from your mix come directly from the original song, there's definitely some degree of personalization. In the end, though, I don't think there's enough to balance out the direct usage.

As far as the production goes, your percussion and guitar are excellent. The vocals are the weakest part of the mix in terms of sound quality, but I thought they blend in well with the rest of the track. It's really the amount of arrangement that's causing me to reject this, not any fault of the sound. Add more interpretation of the source instead of copying it directly, especially in 0:27-1:39 and 3:10-3:47. The arrangement is good in a couple of places, but try to keep it at that level through the entire mix.

NO (resubmit)

Let's get production out of the way first. Very clean recording and mixing. I love how distant it sounds until 1:39, when the fast-paced original writing pops out at you, as if you edged your chair closer to the mic. Good use of reverb to give the piece atmosphere without making it too crowded. Thought the vocals sounded a little dissonant at times (the sample may have been flat), but no biggie.

The playing was amazing. I totally understand the points made about how the parts are taken directly from the original, but I thought the added flourishes gave this some real meat. Sure, you hear basically the same melody lines in the guitar, but there are a lot of slides and hammer-ons, and it gives those melodies a different feel. It definitely sounds like effort was put into thinking out how they should go. That's not to mention the original writing and new percussion. It's a little disappointing to hear the chimes carried over basically verbatim, but they aren't the focus. I think what's here has enough personalization and interpretation to pass.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The guitar and percussion sequencing is really well done.

My problems with this are first of all, the arrangement is very conservative. This is pretty straightforward.

The other problem I have is that this is too crowded most of the time, especially in the low-mids, say 250-1000 Hz. It's muddy! Adjust the EQ~

NO

The progression during the intro is a variation of the source(s) but doesn't seem to be directly from either, and it has some nice original writing on top. The riff at :34, as CHz pointed out, is also good for the interpretive value. Periodically, the chord progression is varied as well; such as 2:25. It's not major, but it's there. 2:52 and 3:47 both have some solid thematic variation mixed with original writing.

thought the original writing was tasteful and incorporated well.

Production is very nice overall - I did think it was a little muddy actually, maybe a bit too much reverb and low-end stuff, but really overall, I don't have a problem. The guitar and perc sequencing is excellent.

I don't really think this is too close to the sources. There are a bunch of examples of variation and original writing that is either closely related to the sources or that actively references them. Even the more straight-up Corridors of Time parts have at least a little performance embellishment. We've passed closer, IMO.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

hmm.

somehow, i don't know if we're listening to the same track. i can't believe nobody has commented on how out of whack the whole thing is; most of the song sounds like it is out of key and even if it is technically in key and i just can't tell because i'm tone ignorant, then it just doesn't very good at all. i mean, i know i'm tone deaf but this sounds wonky at best.

the idea of the mix itself is awesome as hell. i am a big fan of al dimeola and other acoustic world music studs and this is no short of impressive in the genre. you have some chops, no doubt... but most of the first couple of minutes of source (which is arranged nearly verbatim) are totally out of key (i still can't believe that you guys don't hear this and i, of all people, think i do). and what about the choral vocals, guys?

guys??

the percussion is great. the idea is grand and awesome. the playing, during the original solo section, was great.

however, the rest of this is not very good

NO

guys???

weed, what you're hearing is the choir clashing with the trailing reverb of the bell line, specifically on beat two of the measure. Plus the staccato choir is clashing with the sustained choir lines.

I think that this has a really nice sound to it, but like weed mentioned, it's a little wonky in terms of choir harmonies. There's also the issue how conservative it is. Instrumentation is certainly a viable method of arrangement, but for the purposes of OCR, I don't think it can be relied on as the primary method of arrangement. Part-writing is very important, and I think that lifting not just melodic lines, but harmonic and continuo lines, out of the source doesn't really jive.

There's certainly a lot of personalization here, I'll give you that, but I'm afraid that the combination of issues is a dealbreaker for me. Really wanna hear this tweaked up. NO, resub