I'm stuck with Garageband. Ouch?

I have a mac, and am only able to do any music writing in garageband. Obviously, the better work on the site here is NOT done in Garageband. Actually, I don't think anything here is.

Anyways, I have been playing around a lot with the instruments that are supplied, and I have a small budget so buying soundpacks would be challenging. But to the point, what is a better music making program I can get cheap?

Like, i saw the guide for a $0 budget, but they all seem to be just programs limited to a few sounds or styles. (I haven't checked, mind you)

Here ya go Garageband:

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01550/

For $200 you can move up to Apple's Logic Express 8 which will give you some very nice tools to work with.

You can also get Reason for $200 on Academic discount. It is the full version 100%, nothing is different except the huge price cut! :)

I believe Reaper has a Mac version. Energy XT does as well. Although it sounds like you are more interested in recieving lots of synths and sounds with whatever package you buy.

Digital Performer, Cubase, and Live are other options. But for the price the two listed first will give you much better bang for you buck.

Garageband is pretty nice (and easily the best free program) and good results can be had from it (just not by me lolololol), but i super recommend Logic. Save up for express 8; while you do that start using garageband and getting a feel for it, they act very similarly.

PS.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01565/

and rumor has is some of Pixie's mixes are GB as well.

Yes, Miss Tricks did use GarageBand on her solo tracks.

I recently upgraded to Logic Express 8 (from 7). In the past I may have said to just stick with GarageBand and spend your money on 3rd party plug-ins and sounds. That's still good advice but the price drop of Logic Express and added features from Pro makes it a prodigious value.

In the end it comes down to what interface inspires you... you may prefer making music in Reason or Live, etc. But as far as features go: if you have $200, you're really not going to find anything that matches the value of Logic Express 8.

cheers.

GarageBand can let you do pretty nice things. I used to work with GB, now using Logic Express 8. By the way, LE8 feels very much like GarageBand.

The GB Jam Packs have got some nice samples, Pixietricks used several loops from World Music on her original album. I use the software instruments, and I like them. It's not EWQLSO, but it's not bad. For that price, they're awesome.

Even so, using GB is by no means an auto-disqualify. If you've been through the apple loops, you might recognize the drums in this remix.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Logic 8 Iss fantastic!!

i dont have a mac so i havent used it much but its got a really good bundle of sounds that are really open and crisp.

garageband is really limited, so upgrade!

(i know what you mean tho, having a budget of 0$, i havent gotten new gear in a long time!!)

I have a mac, and am only able to do any music writing in garageband. Obviously, the better work on the site here is NOT done in Garageband. Actually, I don't think anything here is.

Anyways, I have been playing around a lot with the instruments that are supplied, and I have a small budget so buying soundpacks would be challenging. But to the point, what is a better music making program I can get cheap?

Like, i saw the guide for a $0 budget, but they all seem to be just programs limited to a few sounds or styles. (I haven't checked, mind you)

Garageband can't be that bad... This:

http://www.amazon.com/Made-Bricks-Kate-Nash/dp/B000V3L0ZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205695956&sr=1-1

was recorded in Garageband.