Metal Gear Metal: New Project/Competition Idea

I thought about this just now as I was driving home from Target: I really like Metal Gear music - a whole lot. And all the music I like hasn't been tapped into: the password theme, intro, & the climax "Big Boss" theme in particular. I'd like to request most (if not all) of the themes from Metal Gear to be redone.

However, I'd actually be willing to fund a competition to fuel more people into participating. The thing is, I've never held a contest before, & will need help on many levels: dates, site hosting/getting the word out, judging, rules, etc.

I'd like to restrict it to just the first NES Metal Gear right now. I haven't played the MSX version, but I might include that as well (did it have different music?).

I'd also like to restrict it to Rock/Metal, but I'll likely accept Orchestral arrangements & maybe some other genres.

Of course, there would be a prize for the winner/winners. I'm thinking something around $200 (which will come out of my pocket).

I'm not one to just throw ideas out prematurely, but I've seriously given this some thought. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving for deployment in less than a week. So hopefully I can get some input & start planning right now. Maybe I won't start the contest until I get back.

Hopefully, this can turn into another CD project. Any interest?

Okay, again - I may not restrict this to just metal & rock (what kind of arrangements do you have in mind?)

The Shizz isn't working for me. Is the site down right now?

I've also decided to have multiple winners & put a prize out for the best arrangement in each song. That way I can ensure an arrangement will be done for each track.

Metal only? Metal Gear MSX only. Do not want.

Dammit, I was hoping any of the current Metal Gear games, as I am currenty learning to play Fourtune's theme by ear. C F C Eb (Figure the rest out)

Ah, I need to play the Metal Gear NES game. Maybe I'll find some tunes I like. By like you say, it's a rock/metal arrangement. I only have experince with strings/orcestra.

Metal only? Metal Gear MSX only. Do not want.

Dammit, I was hoping any of the current Metal Gear games, as I am currenty learning to play Fourtune's theme by ear. C F C Eb (Figure the rest out)

Ah, I need to play the Metal Gear NES game. Maybe I'll find some tunes I like. By like you say, it's a rock/metal arrangement. I only have experince with strings/orcestra.

Okay, I've decided that I'll include both the MSX & the NES version of Metal Gear 1. Some of the songs are the same anyway. But remember: there's going to be a prize for each song, so the more you know from each version, the more you can compete in. If this turns out successful, we can have another one for Snake's Revenge & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake as another competition.

And strings/orchestra is fine. Right now, the only genre I really don't feel too keen on is techno, & that's because there's too much of it out there. If there's a convincing enough techno arrangement, I may accept it.

Okay! The site works.

As for the DoD Metal Gear month, it says to go to the main site, but that isn't working. ???

Does anybody know where I can get those songs?

I am currenty learning to play Fourtune's theme by ear. C F C Eb (Figure the rest out)

Ooops! Made a mistake! The notes are actually:

C F C Bb C Eb D C| F C (Still trying to figure things out from the Sax[solo])

The Strings/Brass Section I'm trying to work out so far (after the solo) are:

C Bb Ab (At this point I need to figure out the rest of the notes.)

Thanks Revenge for pointing out that I need to try again!

Okay, I'm going to play Metal Gear and pick out what songs I like. Since I don't have any software, I'll going to have to make an original arrangement then add the melody of the song I might play. And since I'm ghetto, I might have to record myself in my bathroom, upload the video on my computer and rip the audio.

If I can't work on this project then I'll hope aboard on the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake bandwagon. I might do the main theme or Theme of Tara.

By the way, in the top right it says I have 1 unread message, but when I click on 'private messages' it says I have nothing in my inbox. What's up with that?

Old news is old. It was spam.

I really feeling on the main theme of Metal Gear 2. Maybe a jazz or a live violin cover I might do.

I'm seeing about starting a topic in the Competitions forum. I've made a tentative list of rules here:

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_questmaster/Rules.txt

I'm also making the track list:

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_questmaster/Metal_Gear_Track-Price_List_Tentative.xls

The NES NSF files can be downloaded from this site.

Does anybody know where I can find a KSS file to use as a reference for the MSX music?

I have a lot going on right now, I'll be leaving for country probably this coming Thursday. I wish I had these tools:

http://www.geocities.com/jedi_questmaster/neededmenu.gif